Hi, im Im rodster from Tampa Bay

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rodster, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Rodster

Rodster Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2011
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    I replied to a few posts already and i got some wonderful replies. thanks for welcoming me in such a nice way. Anyways, i am a 40+ year old bachelor with a roommate who is helping me raise and care for my new flock. I also have a 15 year old cat and he has been with me since he was about 3 months old. i hope the birds can adjust to him and maybe befreind him... he wouldnever chase them. Anyways, i got my birds from my neighbor as payment for some work> 3 hens and a rooster. i'm not sure what their history is but i am trying to find out. they are all dark, with the Roo resembling a dark cochin with lots of blue and a bit of green. his feet are messed up and his claws were outrageously long when i first got him. he is walking a lot better now, but he doesn't hold a finger barely at all... very unstable off the ground, poor guy. very sweet tho but timid. The girls, i have no idea other then brown, dark and pretty docile. not a one has showed any agression. they all seem pretty used to each other and seem to get along great. Iwill try to post pics in a few minutes and any idea helping to id them would be great. Also, im pretty sure im getting some turkeys in a few hours so ihope im not jumping the gun. i know i should be more patient but i also want to get some before too much time goes by as thanksgiving will be here very soon... Lastly, they havent laid a single egg as of yet. i imagine they need time to adapt to the new coop, nest boxes, run and routine first. which is another reason i want to get the rest of the flock all together and started so they can sot themselves out and get back to laying. i will also think about 2 more hens while im at the farm. we'll see how good the prices are i guess. i will post pics of the coop and flock soon. Anyways, thats what i have for now. Thanks and have a great day...
    Rodster in tpa bay, fla

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Welcome aboard, Rodster - sounds like you have a great start to chicken madness! [​IMG]

3. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    [​IMG] Hello and Welcome to BYC!

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]

Imp

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Hi and welcome to BYC.[​IMG] It does take time for hens to settle into their new home. Hopefully you'll be getting your eggs soon. We will be looking forward in seeing your pictures. [​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good advice given. [​IMG]

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

9. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga.

[​IMG]

WELCOME ABOARD.

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Good luck with your chickens & turkeys [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by