Hi! I'm MommaShack!

MommaShack

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2021
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We grew up with chickens and all kinds of farm animals, so this is nothing really new to me. My daughter has now taken an interest and has turned her few little chicks from Tractor Supply into a growing enterprise with waiting lists for her chicks and ducklings! It's been quite a ride with her as she takes it so much more seriously than we did growing up! But her dad and I agree, there are far worse things she could be involved in and who knows where this will lead one day? Her own hatchery? Could be!!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Seriously...I have no idea. My daughters wheels and deals with her chickens and call ducks to get the exact breeds she wants. We just sit back and wait for her to tell us how many more pens she needs or where we need to take her next. Keep in mind...we live in a SUBDIVISION with a HOA.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I know she has Ayam Cemani, Buff Orpington, Seramas...not sure what else is out there for chicken breeds. For ducks, she has Pekin, Blue Swedish, Grey calls, White calls, Black Bibbed calls, Snowey calls and we're adding button quail in the next week or so.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I love that during a time when the world is on fire with COVID, my daughter has managed to carve out her own personal sanctuary of happiness. She is a type 1 diabetic and we have her doing her schooling online for her safety. She hasn't been able to spend nearly as much time with her friends and we don't go out and about as much. Her social life all but shut down unless it was digital. The fluffy butts gave her purpose and awakened a love inside her that I'm sure she didn't even know about. She calls them all her "babies" and spoils them rotten with only the best of care. We're so proud of her!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

No time for hobbies outside of work and animals! They ARE our hobbies! LOL!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

We are residential general contractors and builders and also have a side hustle doing laser engraved gifts and collectibles. We love our electronics; my youngest son builds massive gaming systems and my older son does 3D graphic artistry. My oldest son and his family don't live close, but my DIL is a nurse on the frontlines of COVID and my son works as a federal employee in the judicial system. They have my two grandsons and my older son who lives near us has our only granddaughter. She and her mom come to our home daily to help with business stuff and allow me GiGi time with my granddaughter - no complaints here! We have an Anatolian Shepherd/Great Pyrenees LGD named Gunner, our sweet dependable boxer Chip and our ten foot tall and bullet proof Silkie Terrier named Hercules. We also have a cat named Caliyah who was just returned to us after three years of being MIA - microchips are worth Every. Penny. I raise several breeds of finches and have two huge Oscar fish; Pachuco and Sgt Pepper. We live in a subdivision, but manage our space as efficiently as we can and keep things as clean as possible. Thus far, no complaints from the neighbors and we hope to keep it that way.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

Found BYC by doing a search about brooder ideas. Found so many great ideas that I decided it only made sense to join this community and learn as much as we can from others!

Back
Top Bottom