hi im new...and nervouse

orlandoluv1

Songster
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
spring valley , CA
well let me start by saying that i am hatching eggs for the first time. I bought one of those incubators that hold 3 chicken eggs. its very small and cheap but i figured since i am a full time student on line and a stay at home mom i had the time to focus on the incubator. So far they all look to be developing very nice but i have to say i am very nervouse. I am thinking about purchasing a better more expensive incubator for next time. if anyone has any suggestions that would be great. i am looking to spend about 200-300 dollars next time. i am farely new to hatching but i have raised chickens through most of my childhood. my grandfather had a farm and he would alwasy bring me the babies that were hurt or something so i could make them healthy again and then he would take them back. i really loved that time in my life and i want to share that experince with my son. i know he would love it just as much as i did. i am currently trying to hatch 3 silkies so we will see if my good fortune continues. like i said if anyone has any suggestions on my current incubator or the purchase of a better one that would be great. i am having trouble keeping the temperature consistent but i monitor them about every half hour and most of the time i can keep it at 100 but sometimes it fluctuates. the heat is there from a small lightbulb (like i said a cheap little incubator)well thank you for reading and i hope to get to know everyone better through this fun and exciting process:D

hi and welcome.
frow.gif

Welcome to BYC!

Don't be nervous! Roll up your sleeves and dive in! We won't bite!

I wish you much luck and will be interested to see your hatch. It is very hard to control the temps and humidity in those little things. If you are holding in there with it you are doing a fine job!

You have a nice budget for a new incubator!

Depending on your ideas for hatching you can pick up a GQF Hovabator 1588 with an autoturner for about $168 plus shipping. There are other big models that cost more but if you never intend to do more than hobby hatch You buy a second 1588 and use it as a hatcher if you wanted to start a second set of eggs before the first hatch or even one of the more basic models . Do I sound like an enabler? LOL The second bator as a hatcher would put you just under your $300 cap and you would have room to set alot of eggs.

The 1588 is preset for the proper temp and it is really plug n play, add some eggs and water and wait 21 days for chicks. That is as long as youhave good vertile/viable eggs.

I have enjoyed sharing chicks and hatching with my children. they learn more with first hand experience and have much more respect for life and what it takes to sustain that life.

Keep us informed as to what you choose and what happens with your eggs!

Welcome!

The Hova-bator Genesis 1588 is a good incubator and you can get one for less than $150 and you can get a turner for it too for another $40. I've two of themand I really like them. They hold about 40 eggs with the turner in. They have an electronic thermostat and a fan and hold the correct temps very well.

Hi,

Welcome, and good luck.

Miss Prissy likes the Hovas, and well she should they do great for her
smile.png

As an extra option you might look at incubators with proportional control heaters.

Take a look at the Brinsea range, for example. R-Com look great but might be a little too expensive. Lyon are very popular too. There are others. Whatever ... $2-300 will get you auto-turning, forced air and digital control ... all good things.

Google is your friend
smile.png

You are correct, twigg. I have 3 of the 1588's. I have 3 homemade bators. I also have a Lyon's transparent hen. Each one has been a learning curve and good machine.

I was wondering about the 1588 model. I have looked at it and it looks like a great incubator at a reasonable price. The one I looked at just said that it has automatic temperature control. So is there no way to adjust the temps? It can't be digital for such a low price.

Back
Top Bottom