Hi! I'm new here from Midcoast ME

SEaton611

Chirping
Jun 16, 2019
Midcoast Maine
Hi all!

I'm Sam! I just joined the forum as a member, but have used this site many a time in the last year or so of being a backyard chicken mom. I live in the Midcoast Maine area and have 12 chickens (and a rooster named Kylo Hen I'm trying to rehome/swap).

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I got my own chickens last spring, and actually moved from New Hampshire to Maine with them (unexpectedly, I might add.)

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I started with five barred rock hens, and recently got four black australorps (one is Kylo...), two faverolles, and two easter eggers. They are great to have!

(3) What breeds do you have?
See above! I really love one of my easter eggers, a white hen I've named Cruella. She had a nasty battle with Kylo and has been living in the house in a dog crate for a while...now she's on the deck in a crate. Don't worry, it's covered!

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Fresh eggs! And they eat the nasty ticks and bugs that lurk out here in the Maine woods!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I travel as often as I can, do photography, hike, kayak, write (horror, but the animals always live!), and taste craft beer and bourbon wherever I can!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I work in healthcare technology which is...a job. Aside from chickens, I have three cats and a pitbull/rottweiler mix. As such, my Roomba vacuum is extremely overworked...

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I learned about BYC when searching how to care for Cruella's awful battle wound. I wasn't sure she was going to live, what with being scalped...but a month later, and she is flourishing! She and I now have a very special bond after she lived in my office for several weeks and had to deal with me cleaning her up a few times a day. She even had a bath and blowdry! I finally joined so I can be a part of conversations and ask questions, and also maybe to even make friends! Perhaps. We'll see.

I look forward to being here!
Best,
Sam

Last edited:
Hello, Sam, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Glad to hear Cruella survived. Have you started to reintroduce her back to her flock?
I understand wanting to get rid of Kylo. Has he been aggressive to any of the other girls?

I'm glad she survived too! I have gradually been reintroducing her, and allowing her to free range with them during the day. She's doing so well! So far Kylo only wants to pick on her. I was hoping it was just because she's clearly weak/injured, since he's good to all my other girls...but I'm not sold on having a rooster anyway.

Of course I have pictures! Only a few handy, but I do a lot of animal photography so they tend to be subjected to many a photoshoot. Here's some of my two faverolles (Toothbrush and Baseball), a couple of my barred rocks (Linda, Henrietta, Lorraine, Gladys, and Old Crusty Pam), and the Queen herself, Cruella the white easter egger.

Attachments

• 20190601-61.JPG
    20190601-61.JPG
    580.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0923.JPG
    IMG_0923.JPG
    637.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 7.18.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 7.18.53 PM.png