Hi - I'm New Here!

Pizzapiepan

Hatching
May 2, 2015
California
Hi everyone - We just finished building our chicken coop, and have four chicks - Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red, Cuckoo Maran, and an Ameracauna. We're excited to be chicken parents, and are looking forward to learning a lot from this site!

We got through our first night with the chicks, and tried to keep the coop at 95 degrees like we were told. I got up in the middle of the night to check it, and it was down to 80, but the chicks seemed happy and OK.

My questions is...Should I get another heat lamp to make sure it stays right at 95 degrees? I don't want to cook them!

Welcome. I'm new to chickens myself and have two Buff Orpingtons, two Cuckoo Marans, and two Brown Leghorns.

Not knowing how your brooder is set up, I would try to move the heat lamp closer. Maybe off to a side so that if the chicks get too warm, they can move away from the lamp. Just be carefull about what that lamp is near. You don't want a fire and it can happen real easy.

Thanks very much! I think it's in a safe place, but maybe too high in the brooder. I'll move it down so they can get under it if they are cold. Sheesh, I feel like I just had a baby, lol!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you have joined us.

Congratulations on your new arrivals. I know what you mean, mine are now 2 yo and still are my children! When they were in the brooder, I placed a surveillance camera so I could check on them whenever I wasn't with them and still have cameras everywhere in and around the coop
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom