Hi im new Pfingston88

Pfingston88

Hatching
Nov 26, 2020
I have question about chickens. I purchased 6 on the 10th at rular King. I'm keeping the chickens in my house with the heat on 70. They chickens should be 3 weeks what I was told. Do I need to keep a heat lamp on them. They past hour they have almost knocked there heat lamp off twice. I habe them in my spare bathroom in big container.

Welcome to BYC!

Their heat lamp shouldn’t be close enough for them to be able to knock it down.

If they’re three weeks they still need heat. Set a thermometer at their level and check what temp it is. I think for 3 week olds they need 80 degrees F.

Do you have a picture of your setup and your chicks?

I have question about chickens. I purchased 6 on the 10th at rular King. I'm keeping the chickens in my house with the heat on 70. They chickens should be 3 weeks what I was told. Do I need to keep a heat lamp on them. They past hour they have almost knocked there heat lamp off twice. I habe them in my spare bathroom in big container.
20201109_231642.jpg
Happy Thanksgiving .jpg

I think your babies still need supplemental heat, but I always worry about heat lamps causing a fire. I brood all my poultry in the house in clear plastic totes. I have a sturdy metal chair (someone converted parts of an old treadle sewing machine into a chair) and I attach the heat lamp to that chair with zip ties. I can move the chair closer or further away, as needed.

I hope you enjoy being a part of BYC; it has literally saved the lives of some of my birds. Best of luck with your babies!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I never pay too much attention to the "optimal temperature and X weeks of age". I've watched broody after broody parade her 1 week old chicks around in 45 degree weather and the chicks were just fine and dandy. When they got cold they would run under their mother. I would put a much lower watt bulb in the lamp, secure it in three different ways so that it cannot be knocked over or flown up on and only heat one area of the brooder.
Do you already have their coop built? They are very near needing to be moved out. I would also suggest moving the brooder out to the garage if you have one or a sheltered protected outbuilding so the cooler areas of their brooder are colder.

Back
Top Bottom