Hi! I'm new with a 1mth old with sour crop! Hi and help please!

happylotus

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2016
Hi, I was gifted two silkie chicks (1ish mth) for my birthday. One is showing signs of sour crop. I helped it to throw up a bit, massaged , gave it a small amount of coconut oil in a syringe as I read to do. Anyone have any other advice or have had success treating a chick?

Thank you! her crop is very big, sometimes feels squishy and other times it is harder. It feels as though there may be something that isn't passing through. I noticed her eating grass so I'm wondering if it balled up in her crop...
I ended up taking her to the vet and he tried flushing it out with saline, then he tried to suck the blockage but he couldn't get anything. He gave her a dose of medicine to stimulate digestion and also sent me home with antibiotics.
She's been off her feed and I made her a mixture of yogurt and eggs and have been syringe feeding her. She's not lethargic at all and she's pooping... So I'm stumped.
After all this happened, I had a client come to the house who has chickens and is a homeopath. She gave me some Silicea tablets to dilute in water to give to her. She recommended not giving the antibiotics and said the Silicea will help her pass whatever is stuck. She said there's no need to give antibiotics if there's no infection.
I'm so torn and tired! I hope she is ok!!

Thank you! her crop is very big, sometimes feels squishy and other times it is harder. It feels as though there may be something that isn't passing through. I noticed her eating grass so I'm wondering if it balled up in her crop...
I ended up taking her to the vet and he tried flushing it out with saline, then he tried to suck the blockage but he couldn't get anything. He gave her a dose of medicine to stimulate digestion and also sent me home with antibiotics.
She's been off her feed and I made her a mixture of yogurt and eggs and have been syringe feeding her. She's not lethargic at all and she's pooping... So I'm stumped.
After all this happened, I had a client come to the house who has chickens and is a homeopath. She gave me some Silicea tablets to dilute in water to give to her. She recommended not giving the antibiotics and said the Silicea will help her pass whatever is stuck. She said there's no need to give antibiotics if there's no infection.
I'm so torn and tired! I hope she is ok!!
She may have an impacted crop that could turn sour. What is the antibiotic that was given to you. If it's Nystatin, then that is an antifungal medication sometimes used to treat sour crop. Sour crop is basically a yeast infection that is caused by "fermenting" foods that are impacted in the crop.

Both articles linked in my previous post give detailed information on treating crop issues with common everyday products that most people have in their kitchen or medicine cabinet.

Thank you for your help. I mixed her up a batch of the spice mixture for the doughy crop. Since she is so small still, I've been giving her small amounts of it 3x a day. It's still pretty large (much larger than her sister). Also giving her a yogurt, eggs and oil mixture for nutrition. She is so hungry! The antibiotic the vet prescribed was teva- Trimel. I still haven't given her it yet in hopes the spice mixture will work. If it's yeast, o don't really want to mess too much with her gut flora.

Thank you for your help. I mixed her up a batch of the spice mixture for the doughy crop. Since she is so small still, I've been giving her small amounts of it 3x a day. It's still pretty large (much larger than her sister). Also giving her a yogurt, eggs and oil mixture for nutrition. She is so hungry! The antibiotic the vet prescribed was teva- Trimel. I still haven't given her it yet in hopes the spice mixture will work. If it's yeast, o don't really want to mess too much with her gut flora.

I know @TwoCrows has had great success with the treatments she describes in her article that I linked you to, so hopefully you won't have to use the meds.
Keep us updated on her progress.

Hello there,
I am having a same issue with my red golden pheasant female. She is having watery crop for the past five days or so.she is not pooping normally. She just poops twice a day hardly. Very small poops.
I was giving her yoghurt with olive oil. But I haven't seen any improvement yet. Now what can I do...any suggestions please??

Hello there,
I am having a same issue with my red golden pheasant female. She is having watery crop for the past five days or so.she is not pooping normally. She just poops twice a day hardly. Very small poops.
I was giving her yoghurt with olive oil. But I haven't seen any improvement yet. Now what can I do...any suggestions please?? Hi @Areeba take a look at the links provided above, there is good information on treating crop issues.

Hmm.. thanks.

But can you please tell me whether she has sour crop or impacted crop? She is just pooping hardly once or twice a day.A pea size sticky poo with green color a bit hard in consistently with no signs of rotten grains.
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom