Hi, I'm new.

I'm new to the group and new to having chickens. We have been wanting chickens for a long time and we're finally getting our chicks this weekend. Super excited! I am an avid gardener and really looking forward to having chickens to aid my attempt at permaculture.

Since your getting new chicks I will give you advices(based on my own experience)
put these in your shopping list:
1.a heat lamp(for warmth)
2.a good bedding(this can be shredded wood)
3.a waterer and a feeder(it is very neat and clean)
4.a vitamin supplement(it can be helpful if you get a sick chick)
5.old clothing could be useful but optional.
6.treats like dried worms(also optional)
7.a thermometer (they need to be kept at 90f or 32c one their first week)
and here are some things you should avoid at any cost
1.putting them in cardboard because it can cause breathing problems,paralysis and feet problems like spraddle leg.
2.touching them too much and getting them out of their coop can get them sick I usually wait until they are 2-3 weeks old then I start touching and snuggling them.
3.getting them outside before they age 5-6 weeks old,and that’s only when it’s summer time if it’s snowy,windy or rainy they should stay inside.
4.giving them food before researching it,giving them foods with no research can get them poisened for example lots of chick owners give too much rice to their chicks that could cause problems like diarrhea so if you want to give them rice give it to them as a treat and not a main meal and don’t give them too much.
5.extremely wrong temperature is a problem and if got wrong could cause their chicks sickness or death.
6.badly setting up a heat lamp(if it falls on them it will cause fire so please be very careful with it)
7.putting water in a deep bowl can cause them to drown.
8.putting them somewhere dirty and dusty(can cause breathing problems and raspatory infections.
please follow these basic tips : )

Back
Top Bottom