Hi I'm Nicky from Brighton

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mummahen48, Mar 18, 2017.

1. mummahen48

mummahen48 New Egg

Mar 18, 2017
    Brighton,England
    Hi,I'm nicky.Ive been reading the forums for several weeks now and found them helpful.Its my first hatch of chicken and it's been sucsessful,I have 5 beautiful chicks in the brooder.
    However I put two duck eggs in the incubator also to try out,one failed early on.The one I have left has grown and there are still membranes attached,there is no movement,the egg is heavy but smells a little,this morning I dipped it in a jug of warm water,cos that's how you tell a bad egg,right?this egg didn't float which tells me it's still ok,I'm on day 30 today.Can anyone help?

2. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    Firstly :welcome
    I am glad you joined the flock!
    Congrats on your new chicks.
    Don't forget to post pictures of them.
    What breed did the duck egg come from?
    Some breeds take 28 days and some take 35 days.
    Did you candle the eggs?
    That's the best way to see a development in the eggs.

I also found this;

"Many Folks Are Having Eggs Go Overdue For Hatch And Wondering If They Are Duds, Late, Or Have Had Some Sort Of Fetal Demise.... The Float Test Is Simple Yet Effect Way Of Checking Egg Viability.

I Normally Give Eggs A Full 24 Hrs Overdue Before Float Testing. It Works On All Bird Eggs- Period! Takes Very Little Equipment Or Time To Do And Is Easy To Perform.

Start With A Bowl Of Sufficient Depth To Allow The Eggs Your Testing To Float Freely Or Sink. Add 100 Degree Water To The Needed Level And Allow It To Settle( Quit Swirling And Calm Down)

Once Settled Take The Egg Or Eggs To Be Tested And Gently Lower Them Into The Water With As Little Disturbance As Possible. You May Need To Wait A Few Minutes For The Water To Settle Again After Adding Egg/ Eggs. Then Just Watch....

Eggs Are Judged By Observation With Results As Follows:

1. Sinker= Dud, Never Developed

2. High Floater (like A Fishing Bobber Without Weights) Say 45% Or More Of The Egg Above The Water Line= Dud, No Development Or Fetal Demise, Likely Rupture Of Internal Membranes Causing The Egg To Dehydrate.

3. Low Floater= Viable Egg, Development Full Term

4. Low Floater Rockin And Rollin! This Is The Live Embryo Moving Inside The Egg= Definate Viable Egg!

Once Test Results Complete Take Viable Eggs And Gently Pat Dry And Replace In Hatcher. Duds Are Best Discarded At This Time.

It Should Be Noted All Eggs Warrant Close Inspection Prior To Float Testing--- Any Pips In The Shell? Do Not Float Test! If The Shell Is Broken, Pipped Or Cracked In Any Way Water May Enter And Drown The Chick Inside

This Test Works Off Of Air Cell Development With Embryo Growth. Infertile Eggs Will Have An Underdeveloped Or Absent Air Cell That Isnt Large Enough To Float The Egg....thus The Sinkers. Ruptured Membranes Will Allow The Egg To Dehydrate.... Thus The High Floater. Proper Development Of The Embryo Will Cause The Air Cell To Develope To The Point Where Viable Eggs Will Float With Approximately 10-15% Of The Egg Above The Water Line--- These Are The Viable Eggs. Obvious Movement Of The Egg Shows Signs Of Life For The Chick Within. Works On All Bird Eggs From Hummingbirds To Ostriches smile"

Goodluck,
    Fionn.

2 people like this.
  3. HeavensHens88

HeavensHens88 Remembering the Forgotten Premium Member

Welcome to the ultimate Clan, Club, and sometimes Conundrum of Poultry Lovers, Nicky! :frow
    For problems with hatching, I highly recommend checking out this thread/article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101
    All of birds are all part of one massive, unanimously-beloved flock on BYC- and we can't wait to assist in any way possible!
    We're glad you're here!!!
    :jumpy Wings of Wishes,:jumpy
    ~Sarah

1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If the egg is smelly I would dump it

1 person likes this.
  5. vachick15

vachick15 Overrun With Chickens

Welcome to BYC! For hatching help, the threads in Incubating & Hatching Eggs might be useful.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  6. mummahen48

mummahen48 New Egg

Mar 18, 2017
    Brighton,England
    Well as a newbie ,I've learned never to give up,all my chicks hatched [​IMG]I've learned that it's hard to hatch duck and chicken together.Day one today I've put s couple of duck eggs in incubator,low and behold I now have a broody hen in shed,she was laying on 3 dud eggs,so I've put 3 **** under her and 3 fresh chicken eggs(confusing to her maybe,let's wait and see what she does.Do i candle on day 10 or leave her yo do her job!?

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under mummahen48 [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! Look like you've received some great advice and links so I'll just say best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

9. mummahen48

mummahen48 New Egg

Mar 18, 2017
    Brighton,England

10. mummahen48

mummahen48 New Egg

Mar 18, 2017
    Brighton,England
    Hi there,quick question,the fox has just tried to take my hen from the nest,she was sitting on eggs,thankfully she's fine but she's off the nest,only day 5 on there,I've put the eggs in the incubator or should I put back on best in the hope she may return to them.x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by