1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi iron in water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hopefulloflove, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Our water has a lot of iron. You can smell it. We drink bottled water and up until now I have been gkving my chicks bottled water too...but I am wondring if switching to the well water will be bad for them?

Thanks in advance!

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    I'd stick with bottled water.

3. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    i give my chickens well water they love it [​IMG] [​IMG] but this is what i think of it [​IMG]

4. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    A chicken will happily drink from a mud puddle. Well water certainly won't hurt them. Besides, when the chicks grow into chickens they will need several gallons per week, so bottled water could get expensive.

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Iron levels have to be extremely high to affect chickens. We have a lot of iron in our water that is removed by our water softener. As soon as we run out of salt all of the fixtures start turning orange. We give our birds straight well water and it doesn't affect them.

6. Hinotori

Hinotori Silver Feathers Premium Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Graham, WA
    We have high iron in our water and that's all my birds have ever had. They're all fine on it and lay good. I get 8+ eggs a day from 12 birds and it's slowly increasing.

7. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Thanks for the advice!!

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

You'll get iron-fortified eggs! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    We have a lot of iron in our well water too, and I have the orangish/brownish tee shirts to prove it. I have always given my chickens the unfiltered well water, and the goats and donkey's too. I can't imagine trying to give them all filtered water.
    Anyway, I've got healthy animals so it must not hurt them, and from where I've seen those silly chickens drinking from, a little iron in the water is the least of their worries. [​IMG]

10. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:You don't like well water? I spent $6000 so I didn't have to drink county water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by