Hi, is one of my chicks dying or just sleeping? Thanks

xytfaith

Chirping
Oct 3, 2020
Hi, is one of my chicks dying or just sleeping? She’s not as active as other 2 chicks and the broader’s temperature is just right. She’s new to this broader and she scratches on the bedding and eat a little and then go to sleep like this, I have attached a pic below, while the other 2 chicks are active and playing, she just started to sleep like this, please help, thanks, also she’s chirping loudly before that as well.

Attachments

• 9CFE50C8-C8A7-44FE-842C-03A37216890E.jpeg
    9CFE50C8-C8A7-44FE-842C-03A37216890E.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 214
  • BD47A60E-5617-46A7-9E62-37AC7EBEDFE8.jpeg
    BD47A60E-5617-46A7-9E62-37AC7EBEDFE8.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 167
Hi, thanks everyone but she stands up and closes it’s eyes just now and I am worried
Chicks are fragile, and death in the first days is not uncommon (I've had very good luck, but I know many dont). Cold, disease, stress from being shipped, super doses of all sorts of meds, birth defects... All you can do is make sure there's clean water and food available, and adequate heat. Whatever inclosure you have them in, make sure there is room to get away from the heat lamp. If they huddle under the center of the lamp, they aren't getting warm enough. If they move to the outside of the light area, they are getting too much heat and are trying to get away from the source. Again, they sleep in weird positions, and will even fall asleep standing up then fall over, so dont let it worry you too much (and beside food, water and heat, not much you can do anyway). I hope it works out for you.

I'm assuming this chick is a couple days old. The first few days always terrify the life out of me.

The thing is - they're babies. Hatching out of that shell took a lot of energy. The warmth combined just makes them want to drop off. It's normal.
In fact, it's great. They can regain a bit of energy.

If there was anything wrong, there really isn't much you can do about it while they're at such a fragile age.
I wouldn't worry about excessive sleeping for at least the first three days.
Keep us updated!

I'm assuming this chick is a couple days old. The first few days always terrify the life out of me.

The thing is - they're babies. Hatching out of that shell took a lot of energy. The warmth combined just makes them want to drop off. It's normal.
In fact, it's great. They can regain a bit of energy.

If there was anything wrong, there really isn't much you can do about it while they're at such a fragile age.
I wouldn't worry about excessive sleeping for at least the first three days.
Keep us updated!
Thanks i will keep you guys updated

If this chick is acting a lot different than the others, I would try to get some fluids in her. Dehydration and stress from moving/shipping can take them down quickly. If you have electrolites, alternate electrolite water with plain fresh water. Hold her in your hand with her beak resting in the crease of your finger. Drip water slowly down the crease so that it runs to the tip of her beak and let her swallow. Do that every 20 minutes or so, as much as she will take. Go slowly. See if that helps perk her up. Also make sure there is no pasty butt going on.

Hi, here’s an update, she’s up drinking and eating again, also playing with other chicks, it’s such a relief. She’s active as well, phew. Thanks everyone! ( I forgot to take a pic of it’s eating and drinking XD)

Attachments

• 853FED3B-E77F-4BE7-B810-8A55C8575E0C.jpeg
    853FED3B-E77F-4BE7-B810-8A55C8575E0C.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 139
  • 754D6965-D988-49BD-8B03-752531292383.jpeg
    754D6965-D988-49BD-8B03-752531292383.jpeg
    265.4 KB · Views: 150
Glad your chick is ok! When I got mine, I thought all of them had dropped dead in the first afternoon. I must have made a loud noise of surprise/grief and startled one awake. His little head popped up, and shortly the rest followed.

I think someone on BYC described them as looking like drunk frat boys when they sleep like that. :lau

Back
Top Bottom