Hi - My name is Barbara & I AM addicted to chickens

MontanaBound

Hatching
Jul 4, 2016
I started this past March with 15 chicks & now I have about 250-300 chickens. Our 2 car garage has 5 pet gazebos in it with chickens at every age. We wired in our empty wood shed for transitioning birds. The older ones have taken over the back yard. Seems like every day my husband is hanging a new perch for more birds. All the birds are spoiled. I think they love me as much as I love them. The feed bill is a problem though. I do a lot cooking for these chickens. Now that the weather here is hot & humid, they all get frozen water bottles in their waterers. I love the work. They seem so appreciative. I call them "silly rabbits". I have French black cooper marans, coocoo marans, barnavelders, brown leg horns, white leg horns, California whites, golden comets, light & buff bramas, speckled Sussex, gold & silver wyndottes, black sex links, red sex links, welsummers, 30-40 different bannies & 12 guinea keets. I have some hard learned experience & lots of questions. Keep in touch!

Hi Barbara and welcome to BYC - great to have you onboard with us. You are correct - you are addicted and there's no better place to talk chicken than here. Make yourself at home and enjoy!

Best wishes
Ct

Hi :welcome Barbara

Glad you could join us here! Oh wow that's a very large flock you have there! Lovely mix of breeds too, I would say yes you are an addict. Plenty more of those here so you are not alone!

Wishing you the very best of luck for the future and enjoy your time here in BYC :frow

Hi and welcome and wow and WOW! Do u free range? And one random ? If u don't mind me asking :D can you recall the breed and personality of your very first fluff butt? And lol...do you name them all (the great BIG book of baby chick names :lol: )
Also if you do .... did you know it was love at first cluck?
P.s. Barbara, you are totally my hero ;)

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Addicted is the right term for sure! It sounds heavenly to me… that large flock, wow. If you are allowed to, you should sell eggs when your hens are of laying age, to help cover the feed bill. I've always sold surplus eggs and found once word gets out, you'll have a lot of customers quickly.

Well my first fluff butt was the coocoo marans. I really thought they were coocoo b/c they acted nuts, but after a little research it's just b/c of the feather color/pattern. They were the most entertaining chicks of all. One was the "gate keeper" & the rest would back her up. Now they're 4 months old & they all look a like; I can't tell who the "gate keeper" is anymore. I do free range them in a very large fenced area. They are so happy. As for names, I usually just call them "silly rabbits" but Taffy is a nice chicken name for at least one.

Back
Top Bottom