Hi my name is Mary

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ruffstartchickenmom, May 17, 2018.

1. Ruffstartchickenmom

Ruffstartchickenmom In the Brooder

May 17, 2018
    I started my little flock about eight months ago. It has been ruff. September of 2017 I purchased six buff orpington straight run, three each roosters and hens. (1) At about twelve weeks old a hen got out and my dog retrieved her and he was so proud as he placed her at my feet. I covered the run, that was the only way I could find for her to have gotten out. (2) About the same time one of the roosters tried to fly out a closed window in the coop and broke his neck. I put blue tape on the two windows. (3) I had to build an enclosure for one of my roosters to separate them. They were fighting over one of my hens hurting her in the process. After separating them the rooster in the large run killed that hen. When my husbond returns home in a week, that rooster will be introduced to dumplings. (4) In March of 2018 I purchased four black sex link (pullets) no new rooster.

I am sixty three years of age and recently retired. I have wanted to have chickens for several years, I never expected it to be this heartbreaking. Any advice that would make it easier would be wonderful. I have the sex links in a separate enclosure with coop but will be trying to introduce them soon. HELP.

2. Celticdragonfly

Celticdragonfly In the Brooder

May 17, 2018
    Wow, tough start. I hear you on the having wanted it for years. I'm 49 and semi-handicapped, so I'm expecting this to be a bit of a challenge, and am unsure how much I can build myself. I know I can't have roosters where I am. I'm expecting older chickens are likely to wind up with the dumplings, but I have to learn how to butcher them, I'm hoping I can find articles here. The sex link breed is one I've read good things about.

ronott1, KikisGirls, 007Sean and 2 others like this.
  3. 007Sean

007Sean Crossing the Road Premium Member

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and welcome to BYC!
    Thanks for joining us. :)

4. Ruffstartchickenmom

May 17, 2018
    Thank you celticdragonfly for your response, good luck with your future endeavors. I am luck my husbond helps me a lot when he is home.

5. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Reading. Must read more. Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    :yesss: We are glad you joined our flock!
    Jump right in and make yourself at home.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
    Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP!

007Sean likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens :frow

007Sean likes this.
  7. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    Blue Welcome.png

Check out the coop articles for tips on predator proofing the coop. Also, look up instructions for clipping the flight feathers on one wing

007Sean and KikisGirls like this.
  8. Ruffstartchickenmom

May 17, 2018
    Thank you.

007Sean, KikisGirls and ronott1 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by