1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi, My Name Is_____, and I am A Hatching Addict.......

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AWChickens, Feb 22, 2009.

1. AWChickens

AWChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Seriously, I have GOT to stop hatching. My downfall is that I have all this room, and an incubator, and it's so much FUN! I've gotten lots of BYC eggs this past year, and it's just so hard to eat the eggs from the rare breed chickens. I swore I was going to stop, but then I just put 2 dozen eggs in the incubator this weekend!

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    You have come to the wrong place. Sorry, we can only enable you and encourage you to continue with your addiction.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I just finished my first hatch. Didn't get the best results but I'm still happy.

Because we are in the city and limited by space, we won't try hatching again until fall when we know how many roos we have either eaten or rehomed.

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:Agreed. This is not the place for help, other than help to fill the incubator. lol

5. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have any auction barns close by? You could always hatch and take the chicks there! [​IMG] Or sell them on craigslist! Or on here!!! Or list them in the paper......OH WAIT!!! You said that you need help to stop hatching not advise on how and why to continue to hatch! LOL [​IMG]

6. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    i think the term you're looking for is
    hatch-a-holic [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    i took the easy way this year -- im mail ordering my chicks LOL in like 10 days!!!! [​IMG]

8. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    What have I gotten into???? I'm sick as well.
    I own 2 incubators, one I'm in the process of restoring, tried to buy one on ebay, bought a broader on craigslist with waters & feeders, in the process of finishing my first chicken coop and pen, subscribe to Backyard Poultry Magazine, purchased back issues of BYP, spend hours doing research here on BYC, bought parts for incubator and new electronic thermostat (Helix DBS1000), and I haven't hatched my first egg yet or own a chick!
    I'm having back surgery on 3/3 si should be up and walking soon after...and an egg doesn't weigh to much so can you imagine what will happen when I'm at full strength?.....I need help now to curb this problem...................send eggs mid April please.
    HappyHatch'en

9. AWChickens

AWChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    You guys are a big help...really [​IMG]

Having too many chicks hasn't been a problem, people keep buying them- which just makes me want to hatch more, sigh.

10. Chickapooh23

Chickapooh23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    Corning OH
    I'm in the same boat, but I seem to get rooster and not hens so them we have to cull them. And now I seem to have an enabler. My oldest son was home this weekend and of course I am messing with my homemade incubator and he annouces that he is going to build me a nice one when he is on break (he is a JR in college majoring in engineering). So I will be hatching again in April.

I have two batches going right now. One due this weekend and another two weeks after that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by