1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hi.. new and have an urgent question..

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jojo83, Mar 19, 2015.

1. jojo83

jojo83 New Egg

Mar 19, 2015
    South Wales Tredegar
    Hi.. I'm Jo from South Wales UK.. I'm VERY new to this but have done lots of reading. I ordered an incubator, 6 magpie duck eggs and chick crumb along with a brooding box... I thought they would all come together.. Or even the incubator first... But I've just received the eggs.. Like now.. What am I going to do until the incubator arrives? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance xx

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Jo from Yorkshire UK

Glad you could join the flock! You will need to store these eggs untill your incubator arrives. Store them in the cartons pointy end down some where cool but not the fridge. When your incubator arrives you will need to run it for at least 24 hours to make sure it's up to temp and humidity is ok before setting the eggs. Hopefully the delay should not affect the eggs. Check out this link for some great information on incubating https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Good luck and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our BYC "flock"!

You've received some good advice from Yorkshire Coop. Ideally, you want to store the eggs in a place between 50 and 60 degrees F. Hopefully, your incubator arrives soon!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I've never incubated so I'm not much help.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the incubation, hope that incubator arrives quickly!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Eggs need some time to settle after shipping, I'm sure they will be okay when the incubator comes.

9. jojo83

jojo83 New Egg

Mar 19, 2015
    South Wales Tredegar
    Thank you so much for all your lovely comments and advice.. I'm stressing cos my incubator hasn't come.. I have had a look but please could someone help me with where I could actually go myself today or even Monday and go and just buy a fully automatic incubator from a shop or supplier or something asap.. My postis NP22 4BT thank you again you wonderful lot! Xx

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Keep your eggs stored in an egg carton with the big end up, in a place that is 50 to 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Give them a twist a couple times a day to keep the yolk centered.

You might want to stop by the UK thread and do some chatting with your chicken neighbors on this. Maybe someone can direct you to finding an incubator soon...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/74004/england-uk

You can also ask around at feed stores or find someone on line that will ship quick.

Look at our Buy Sell and Trade section in the Everything Else section as well....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/19/everything-else

Good luck and I hope you can locate an incubator soon!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by