Hi, new chicken raiser

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GrammysFarm, Feb 26, 2015.

1. GrammysFarm

GrammysFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2015
    Hi, I'm Trish. Briefly, I raised/showed rabbits (Netherland Dwarfs, English Spot, Mini Rex) for several years and now I am starting to raise goats (retirement plan) and I want to get some chickens.. mainly for my own eggs,,, not planning to cook any :).

So, what is the easiest and nicest and best layers... Let me say that I am not fond of roosters LOL I was attacked as a child and still remember how awful it was.

We are a big egg breakfast eating family of 3 LOL so how many will I need on hand and what is the best for my egg need .

Thanks

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC![​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!!

I think a lot of use still have that phobia of roosters having being chased by them as young children. I am no exception. I can remember being chased by a small Leghorn Rooster when my cousin and I would go to collect eggs and wow did he seem huge at the time!! Hahaha!

So you will want to get Pullets only if you order from a hatchery or get chicks from the feed store bins. Never pick from the "straight run" bins. They contain roosters.

If you are looking for pets and egg layers, Black Australorps, Buff Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Barred Rocks, and others make great pets and are super layers. My Black Australorps are so docile, friendly, affectionate and love to sit on my lap!! I can't sit anywhere without and Aussie begging to sit on my lap! They follow me around like drooling puppies looking for attention and are super layers. My Aussies are 4 years old this year and still going strong on the egg laying.

If 3 people eat one egg a day then you would probably need 5 or 6 birds to keep all of you in the eggs each day. Some birds will lay daily, some every other day and some a few times a week. Each bird is different.

Stop by our learning center for lots of good articles on all the aspect of keeping your new flock from picking the breeds, building the coop, raising the chicks and keeping everybody happy, healthy and safe from predators...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

One tip....give them more room that the required space for each chicken. Don't crowd them in. Chickens can be aggressive when cramped in together. So more space keeps tempers from flaring.

Enjoy this new adventure!!

3 people like this.
  3. GrammysFarm

GrammysFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2015
    thank you for the welcome, and the tips... I've been reading some in that forum.... on my break at work [​IMG]

I'm really studying the coops at the moment.. My husband builds anything and everything for me.. (our kids 4-H hog projects have condos .. now taken over by my goats

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Great advice there for you from TwoCrows. Drop by the coop section too for some great coop ideas https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new chicken adventure. Be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If you do not intend to hatch eggs or sell fertile eggs, you really do not need a rooster at all. Hens will continue to lay (non-fertile) eggs and be happier without rooster abuse. Welcome to the Backyard chickens flock, may all your chicks be girls.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our community.

TwoCrows has given you some excellent advice!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

You've been given some good advice already!

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. If you're not going to get a rooster and breed your flock, I would recommend getting Black Sex Links (Black Stars), which are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed or hybrid you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by