Hi! New member from CT.

5hotchicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 23, 2012
I'm a mom to 4 black australorpes I got as chicks back in April. My hubby and I did study up a bit before taking on this adventure, only to find out that we don't know as much as we thought. Who would ever think there was so much to know in keeping chickens so you can have fresh eggs! We are loving it though but thank goodness for sites like BYC for support! My girls started laying in Sept. and for the most part we get 3-4 every day! First egg was Sept. 1st -----> How EXCITING! I was napping on the couch and hubby woke me and handed me our first warm egg....I was a new mom again! lol I've read the treat list but I have a few questions if anyone can help me out I would very much appreciate it.
1. My girls love pasta ( orzo, angel hair etc.) how much is to much to give as a treat?
2. Are pumpkins seeds too big to feed to them?
3. I've read about giving too much cracked corn and meal worms but I don't know how much is too much of them either!
Any help like I said, would be much appreciated.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

The total amount of extra food - other than their layer feed - should not add up to more than 15% of their daily calories. Corn and mealworms are high in calories, pumpkin and veggies are low. You can give them the whole pumpkin, not just the seeds.

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from washington state glad you joined us!

Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. Just remember chickens are just like children, if you give them too many treats, they don't want to eat their layer feed. thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom