Hi, new member here.

Dale Starkey

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2024
We have 3 chickens we keep in our side yard, their shells are hard which is great until you want boiled eggs. They won't separate from the white, everytime you peel one one perfect layer of the white about 1/8" thick comes off with the shell, sometimes a little more. It seems like the skin won't separate from the white. Is there a nutrient possibly missing in their diet?

We have 3 chickens we keep in our side yard, their shells are hard which is great until you want boiled eggs. They won't separate from the white, everytime you peel one one perfect layer of the white about 1/8" thick comes off with the shell, sometimes a little more. It seems like the skin won't separate from the white. Is there a nutrient possibly missing in their diet?
Welcome to BYC, Dale. Fresher eggs are always hard to peel.
I use my oldest eggs, and put salt in the water. After boiling, I put them in ice water. Then I tap the blunt end on the counter before cracking the shell.

:welcome

Hi, I agree with the others about the fresher the egg, the more difficult to peal. This is a pretty good explanation as to why that is:
Screen Shot 2024-04-16 at 2.18.30 AM.png

Good luck!

Welcome to BYC! When I boil eggs, I poke a pin hole in one end of each, place in boiling water for 10 minutes, then plunge into cold water until cool. I almost never have trouble peeling the eggs using this method.

Back
Top Bottom