HI New, need help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tenor1, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Tenor1

Tenor1 New Egg

Nov 9, 2008
    Hi

After browsing this forum for a month, i chose to join. I have 10 Silkie hens now.

However, yesterday one of my hens died, of what we suspect was cocci. I have the rest of my hens in quarintine.
    What can i do to get rid of the cocci in the enviroment

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You can clean the coop with ammonia since bleach will not kill cocci. You can do nothing about the outside areas except heavily lime them to change the soil pH. You need to treat them ASAP. Since one has already died, I'd dose them with Sulmet immediately. You do it for about a week.

Oh, and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  3. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I'm sorry your first post was a sad one. But [​IMG] and I'm sure someone who knows what you are going through will get on here and help. Good luck with them.

Edited to add,

I'm a little slow in typing. Glas someone helped you.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  4. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG] Tenor1 & sorry to hear about your hen!

I didn't know that bleach did not kill cocci. Does the ammonia? What does changing the PH of the soil do? ALso there are disinfectants out there that are made for goat pen cleaning, since they carry cocci. I am not sure if those would be good for chickens or not?

I treat the goat pen with lime but that is more for the ammonia smell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by