1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi! New to having chickens :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jandlgoss04, Mar 4, 2016.

1. jandlgoss04

jandlgoss04 New Egg

Feb 8, 2016
    PA
    Hi!

We bought 5 pullets a few weeks ago and are really enjoying them :) We started with 3 Australorps and 2 Silver-laced Wyandottes. My husband wanted to get 2 more so he went back to the same place we got the first ones from. She only had 1 Wyandotte left so he got a Barred rock also. The Barred Rock seems to be younger than the rest. She gets picked on a lot by them. Is it just because she's younger or because she's a different breed than the rest. We noticed when they are in the yard that the Wyandottes hang out together and the Australorps hang out together. The Barred Rock is usually alone. Will it be a problem that she's the only one of her kind or could she eventually be accepted by the rest?

Thank you!

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - glad to have you onboard.

Since your BR is younger, it will be the lowest in the pecking order. She will likely be tolerated by the rest eventually, but it would be helpful to get another 1-2 pullets of a similar age so that they can form a sub-flock and deflect any bullying from your lone BR.

More generally, if you check out the Learning Centre, you'll find a whole host of resources on all things chicken.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Your state thread is worth joining as you will get to know other BYC members in your area (just type your state in the search box). In fact, the search box should become your best friend [​IMG] Lastly but by no means least, the members here are amazing - very friendly and helpful, so if you need an answer to a question or simply want some reassurance that what you are doing is ok, then post away - we all help each other out here at BYC.

All the best
    CT

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

4. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!! CTKen has given you good advice, so I'll just say hi!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe you could section off part of the coop/runs so the little BR won't get picked on. If you have any docile chicks/hens maybe you could put them in with her - while she builds some confidence. Then you could re-introduce them all at the same time when re joining the flock.

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It's nice to have you here!

7. LibbyPchickadee

LibbyPchickadee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2016
    Summit Point, WV
    Welcome! So much to see and share!!!! Have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by