Hi, new to keeping Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Little Chook, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Little Chook

Little Chook In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    Hi, I'm Ali and have never kept chickens,

I am hoping to get 3 hens ( not allowed roosters , due to council regs)

I'm doing a lot of reading and planning at the minute, making sure I know what sort of things to get/need, not sure about breed yet, but I do like Wyandottes and also Orpingtons
    I found this forum while searching for info on how to keep chooks, and joined up because it looks like a very friendly knowledgeable place to be
    [​IMG]

I'm married with 2 older children and I work in Aged Care and love my job ,I live in Brisbane Australia, and have been here for about 8 years now and love it, before that I lived in Cornwall in England.

I look forward to sharing my journey with you all, as my family don't quite get my excitement at getting chooks, even though I'm sure they will quite happily help eat the eggs [​IMG]

2. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

Welcome to BYC. The learning center is a great place to start, and the coop section will give you loads of inspiration for building a coop. Once you get those little cluckers moved into their coop, you're family will fall in love with them too.

You should check out the Ozzy threads too, you'll be able to find a lot of information about keeping chickens in your climate.

1 person likes this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community! You will want to stop by our learning center. Lots of good articles on all the aspect of keeping poultry from building the coop, raising the chicks and keeping your adult flock happy, healthy and safe from predators...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

As for breeds, the Orps and Wyanottes are nice breeds to keep. Especially those Orps. Buff Orpingtons and the Black Australorps, (also Orps) are very friendly, docile, great layers, they are dual purpose birds and make great pets as well. You won't go wrong with Orps.

So glad you could join our community! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  4. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi and welcome to BYC! Don't be concerned about your family's attitude toward getting chickens (chooks to you, lol). I bet once you bring some home, they'll be entranced and will see how much fun chickens can be. Glad to have you here.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Buff orps are some of the best chickens you could ever own! They are great layers, affectionate, lap hogs, friendly and curious.
    [​IMG]
    X2 on the learning center link provided by Two crows.

GLAD YOU JOINED and feel free to ask any questions.

1 person likes this.
  6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    1 person likes this.
  7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Crowing

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    G'day, Ali, and welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. What! No Australorps? That's anti-Australian! Just kidding! :eek:) (although I do love Australorps; they are my favorite standard breed). I also have some Orpingtons in my flock, and they are very calm and gentle chooks. Whatever breeds you end up getting, good luck with your chooks.

1 person likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    G"day mate, BYC has a very large Australian community - always room for more. If you can't find someone on the Aussie thread- check out the Emu threads.

1 person likes this.
  9. Little Chook

Little Chook In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2014
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys [​IMG], I will definitely check out the learning centre and the Aussie/Emu threads [​IMG]

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by