HI! Newbie From NC.....

Elven Dreams

Songster
10 Years
Feb 20, 2009
North Carolina
Hello everyone!

I'm totally new to the whole 'chicken thing'... I'm SO new, I don't even have chickens yet!
lol.png

We are going to start building a coop & tractor soon. I mostly want to keep chickens for eggs but may branch out into meat chickens at a later day... I really have some of what I call 'childhood chicken trauma' from seeing my Gran feeding, then seconds later, killing the chickens for dinner.... I was THREE!! We also had a rooster that LOVED to flog children.....

Needless to say I have only ever had chickens that have been in freezer wrap..... But last year my husband started buying some free range eggs... and I began to ferment the idea of keeping chickens... Maybe it will be therapy of a sort for me!
lol.png

So basically I have decided to join here so I can learn as much as possible BEFORE I start buying chickens...

hmmm A little more about me, I'm 34, married 15 years in May and have no kids of my own but two nephews and a niece that I totally adore! I also have three horses (!) two dogs, two cats and a Nubian/Boer goat that thinks I'm Queen Nanny.

We have always tried to be healthy and such, but have recently decided to try to be more self-sufficient and raise more of our own food. We've done gardens off and on for several years as time had permitted with our jobs. I hope to do more and more of this!!

Well I've rambled on a bit but that is me! lol I am really looking forward to reading and learning here, it seems a VERY active forum with friendly people.

big_smile.png

Welcome from a fellow NC'er!
smile.png
What part of NC are you located in?

This is a great forum for knowledge and learning. Definitely came to the right place for your first step in chicken keeping!

Hello fellow NC'ers!
smile.png
I'm in Rutherford County which is about an hour or so west of Charlotte and an hour or so below Asheville, basically in the Foothills.

I have a feeling chickens are going to be highly addictive. I've been house sitting for a friend and they have three chickens. It's so exciting to pick the two eggs every day and they aren't even mine! lol

I'm really looking forward to getting my own.

pw_quiltworks~ BEAUTIFUL quilts! I do a bit of quilting myself but not quite that lovely! lol We recently did a block exchange on another forum I frequent. Very fun! I just have to put borders on mine and then quilt the backing on.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom