Hi sick chicken eye problem, germs from eye on feathers as well..

justakid96

In the Brooder
May 22, 2023
hi I am new here, but my chicken was born with some type of eye problem. At one point i had to squeeze pus out. The first picture is her left wing, 2nd picture is her
IMG_0575.JPG
IMG_0564.JPG
white. eye. She was born with only one eye working and from a young age i noticed this problem on the wing as well. Has not layed an egg ever. The other side of her face looks completely normal. we also did not ever try to isolate her from the flock and the bacteria did not spread to anyone else...
thank you in advance. I cleaned the eye today and yesterday

hi thank u for the reply, i think im more concerned with the germs getting into her feathers.. on her head i think what i need to do is give her a bath maybe...
I took some cotton and warm water to try to clean those yellowed feathers better

any other ideas?

also i will continue giving eye drop solution for the next few days... and then see how things go i guess

hi I am new here, but my chicken was born with some type of eye problem. At one point i had to squeeze pus out. The first picture is her left wing, 2nd picture is her View attachment 3638131View attachment 3638132white. eye. She was born with only one eye working and from a young age i noticed this problem on the wing as well. Has not layed an egg ever. The other side of her face looks completely normal. we also did not ever try to isolate her from the flock and the bacteria did not spread to anyone else...
thank you in advance. I cleaned the eye today and yesterday
Welcome To BYC

I'd clean and flush the eye with saline, remove any pus/gunk from the eye and apply Terramycin in the eye. Do this a couple of times a day.

You mention a problem with the wing - is it that's she's wiping her eye on the wing or is the skin scabby/yellow/crusty there too?

Silkies seem to sometimes have skin conditions. Not sure to the exact cause. Some folks find that using an anti-fungal cream can sometimes help. If you're finding crusty skin on the body, it may be from disease, but it's worth a try to use a cream and see if it helps.

Hi, yes she was born with the same spot there on her wing, maybe the skin was crusty... i dont think whatever is on her wing was caused by eye bacteria

but near her head the yellowing of the feathers on that side of her head might be i think.
Ok i will be sure to look at her again, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom