Hi thanks for letting me join

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tompest1, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Tompest1

Tompest1 New Egg

Sep 19, 2016
    Aintree Liverpool
    I'm new to all this, the story is , I was given 4 coternix quail who haven't stopped laying, so I bought a incubator picture of it below to try and hatch a few chicks, I keep the temperature at 38.8 ? , I must be doing something wrong , people say it takes 18 days incubation but nothing ever hatches on the 18th day , and there are chicks in the eggs as well , on the 23 day I'll open the eggs to see and the chicks are live and when I open them I feel so sorry for the chicks as they have all been alive when I've looked in the egg the chick then dies on me , can anyone help my daughter is so upset with me she blames me as well so the pressure is on me to try and have one hatch ,
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens!! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions! Check out our learning center! It has loads of helpful info!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

I agree with Ken, try posting in the quail page.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Tompest1, and :welcome. Happy you joined our community! Hope you get your hatching issues worked out. Best of luck to you!

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Hello and Welcome to BYC.

So sorry about your hatching issue.

I have no experience with quail or hatchings, but did a quick search and found a similar incubator on Amazon - it got 50% terrible reviews stating it does not work with late losses of all embryos :(

It may be a defect in the equipment...I would suggest you post the question and pics of your incubator on the "hatching' forums to get some opines..

Hope you get the problem solved, and you and your daughter can get some successful hatches.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens. Sending good hatching vibes your way. [​IMG]

8. Tompest1

Tompest1 New Egg

Sep 19, 2016
    Aintree Liverpool
    Thank you all for your welcome , I have found out that my issue with the incubator was that I was filling the little troff up with to much water ! And I stupidly put 12 eggs in a incubator that was made for 7 !
    My appolagies for my stupidity !
    Thank you all

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

As someone stated before, that incubator doesn't look very reliable. You might consider purchasing a better quality one. I'm a fan of the Brinsea brand; their cheap option, the Mini Eco, is $100 and is loads better than anything else you can get for that price. I hatch more in my 10 egg Mini than one of my friends does in her cheap 30 egg styrobator...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by