hi there... another new member from Canada

skeenastreet57

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 8, 2013
I have kept chickens on and off over the past 15 or so years. Lots of fun. I have been following your group for a while. There is always lots of great information and support!
Just bought our first incubator and so far have two ducklings from the first 24 eggs, and my buff orpington chicks are just hatching tonight. So far just the first two of 41 eggs have emerged. Cracks in lots of the other eggs, so here's hoping for the best.
By the way, we live in British Columbia on the Sunshine Coast in a semi-rural area of a small town. Feed ourselves mostly from our acre, and loving it.
Keep up the great work here peeps :)
Nicole

(below is a photo of our coop made entirely from recycled construction supplies, except the concrete floor)

thanks :) we looked at a LOT of designs before we came up with this one. the entrance opens to a little storage area with access to the laying boxes and a wire mess full sized door to the coop. it faces the sun, but the overhang is far enough out to keep the summer sun out of the big south window. (I have chicken paintings on three of the walls.)
behind it is a screened in pen with hatches to the coop and a larger fenced area. We are planning another fenced area for them now that we are ready. they will then have access to part of our orchard. We have to keep them fenced away from the dog, and the dog keeps the bears and raccoons away.
Still only two chicks from those 41 eggs.... worried mom now! I guess they won't hatch within minutes of each other, but I was hoping to see half a dozen by now... fingers crossed for these little guys.

(here is another of the chicken paintings)

welcome-byc.gif

Hello and welcome....so glad you joined BYC

Love your coop and the paintings. Adorable :)

Best wishes to you on a successful hatch. It can take the little buggers several (excruciating) hours to come out of those eggs. There is a reason for it tho so hang in there.

Cant wait to see pics of all the new babies racing around the incubator :)

Thank you DDNONIN2016! This morning when I got up, my sweetie said, 'guess how many chicks'. I said '14'.... his eyes opened up wide and he said, 'yes, there are exactly 14 chicks'.... YAY! There are still some eggs moving. Do you know how long they will continue to hatch?

here's the tired little guys... I think you can click to see the larger images

Oh wow 14 !!!! Congrats !!! Great pics. They can continue to hatch for a few more days. I usually give up at 25 days if there are no pips in the eggs or no movement. I do candle the remaining eggs just to be sure and listen for any clicking or peeping coming from the eggs.

Best of luck that all the others hatch perfectly....staying tuned :)

Last edited:
oh! thank you! so, I do put the rest of the chicks into the brooder though? I can't imagine they will be happy in the incubator for longer than 24-48 hours from what I have read.

here is the hatching of chick number 15! we have 17 chicks now

Back
Top Bottom