Hi there from Warrenton, Missouri

kar-bear

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 17, 2013
St. Peters, MO
I currently live in Warrenton, but will be moving to St. Peters soon, I am wanting to get about 3 or 4 chicks to start for laying eggs, I want them as pets, so I am looking to find out what are the best breeds to have that lay white eggs for my husband and brown for me, but I want them to be no afraid of humans. I am really excited about this new adventure. We have two large dogs also, so I want to start the chicks small do the dogs get used to having them around and know that they can not hurt them.

Hi I am from Warrenton MO to!
lol.png

I would say silkies.. They are very sweet and docile little things. Even more so if you raise them from babies. Cochins are good to Bantam and full size! Although I have a lot of different kinds of chickens and none of them are human aggressive. I think that if you raise them from babies and get them use to humans they are very good...
thumbsup.gif

I hope this helps! Good luck! Chickens are so much fun!

I fell in love when I seen the silkies for the first time, they are so cute. I also like the Frizzels, but I was told they lay small eggs, this is all new to me.

Welcome! I'm new to chickens, too. We have 6 Buff Orpintons and 2 Black Australorps. Both breeds are friendly so far, but they are young,

I have been looking at pictures, and the Buffs are really pretty birds. I want to raise them as pets. How long have you had yours? How long do they live for and lay? Where are you from?

Where in Warrenton are you? I am off n 47, perhaps we could catch up and talk chicken, I am a little nervous. would you have any baby silkies to sell when I am ready? we are moving in 2 weeks, so I wont be ready for any until possibly November.
Karen

I have been looking at pictures, and the Buffs are really pretty birds. I want to raise them as pets. How long have you had yours? How long do they live for and lay? Where are you from?

We have had our Buffs for about 9 weeks. They are very sweet, follow us around if we are outside, and will usually come when called. Ours haven't started laying yet, they are around 17 weeks old now, so hopefully before too long. We are new to chicken raising, so not sure how long they will lay, or how long they will live. It probably depends on several factors.
We call rural, Southwest Arkansas home.

welcome-byc.gif
There are several silkie threads on BYC, you can probably find them by putting "Silkie threads" in the search box. They would probably be able to answer your questions from their experience.

Back
Top Bottom