Hi There! New Here!

CJW

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 15, 2010
Great Falls, MT
Hello everyone! I am writing from Northwestern Montana! I go by the nickname of C.J. My husband and I have 2 boys, ages 7 and 5.

We moved (back) to Montana about 2 months ago and I have yet to get my flock! I have been wanting chickens for probably the last 5 or 6 years, but never had the land/ordinances in our favor! So, here we are! I used to collect eggs when I was very little, but have little experience with raising them (other than watching/helping others). I have a bad habit of READING...till the wee-hours of the night about many things that I am passionate about, so for the last few weeks, my reading has been about chickens, how to make a coop, what to feed, how to protect, what breed....the reading never ends!

I am hoping to get my flock this fall, since I am eager to get some eggs. Having 2 hungry boys who love eggs, french toast, etc, and me-loving fresh eggs-has me so excited I can barely contain myself. (They will eventually be meat birds when they have finished laying.)

The shed that I am converting into a coop will be able to house around 12 chickens. I have been reading, reading, reading about coops. It has been so informative! I have the interior of the coop is almost empty, but I have some shelves to remove, insulation and interior walls to put in, a window, vents, roosts, nesting boxes...but we have a skill saw, and a husband who said he would show me how to use it!

I used your chicken selector to narrow down what breeds would be suitable for our area. I am looking to find local breeders to buy my chicks from.

I contacted my state Poultry Fanciers Association and have gotten some great help from them. One of their members suggested I become a member of the forum so I can get in touch with people in my area.

As far as other hobbies, I have 2 boys, so they take up a majority of my time, but if I had to spend my spare time doing anything, it would be taking photos. I just love it! I am also very interested in nutrition, so sometimes my head seems to want to explode!

I don't work outside the home, and we don't have much family in the area. My in-loves live about an hour away, so some of our extra eggs will be going to them. I also want to get a turkey or in the spring so I can have them for Thanksgiving! I will have to work on their coop (Right now it is a shed, too). I am also planning on having a garden next year, so I will need to start composting all the awesome manure!

My husband really wants nothing to do with the chickens. He said the only way they are allowed in the house is if they are on the dinner table.
smile.png
His parents had chickens when he was younger, and I guess he doesn't like chickens and their chores...but, he is willing to help with the fence and the walls and such. He just doesn't want them pooping all over the place. Our two boys are eager to help, and I am so happy that they will be able to watch them grow, help with the daily chores, and feel a sense of accomplishment.

Well, I better get going. I have more reading to do..but first...the house work!

I hope you all have a fantastic day!

Welcome, from Eastern Wa. You will really enjoy this sight with your enthusiasm. Also you should register with The Easy Garden if you haunt already lots of helpful folks over there also. Since you lime to take pics are you going to post pics of the coop conversion. Looking forward to posts of coop!

Back
Top Bottom