1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi there!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dixie Chick112, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Dixie Chick112

Dixie Chick112 New Egg

Aug 26, 2016
    Hi! Im new to chickens and currently only have three, we started with five as day olds and sadly 2 didn't make it :(
    Any way, my hens just started laying last week and only 2 out of 3 are laying, im wondering if one is possibly a roo. None of them crow and the one I suspect is a rooster, doesn't really look like one. Though we thought he might be from the beginning (first one to get the crown and so on). I was wondering if anyone could help me figure it out! They are about 4 months old :)
    Thanks in advance for any helpful tips too!

Here's the one I think may be a rooster :)

[​IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Dixie Chick, and :welcome. Happy you joined us! In regards to chicken gender guessing, I am the worst. I always look at the pics people post in this link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this and formulate my own guess before I read what more knowledgable folks (Drumstick Diva is awesome) have said. You would think the law of averages would suggest I'd be correct about half the time. Nope. So I stay away from that thread ! :lol: So that's my disclaimer. But since this isn't that thread I'll take my usual shot in the dark and say hen! Now we'll see if my average goes up or down! :). Good luck to you!

3. Dixie Chick112

Dixie Chick112 New Egg

Aug 26, 2016

Lol I think you're right... Apparently the breeds I have, the Roos have white feathers! [​IMG] oops!

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - I'm with Redsox on this one! Hope she begins to lay soon.

All the best
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by