Hi there!

awkwardkale

Songster
Apr 12, 2023
East TN
Hi there! :frow

I’m brand new to this site! I’m a young adult who loves wildlife and caring for animals.

I’ve raised several flocks of chickens in the past, but I’m trying out ducks for the very first time! They’re a lot different than chickens, but I’m really enjoying them. I go to school part time in the fall, but I will be doing so locally, which thankfully allows me to spend lots of time caring for them.

At the moment I have 4 Pekin ducks. They’re about seven weeks old, if I had to guess. I don’t know who is a female or male yet (but my sister and I named them shaggy, Fred, daphne, and Velma haha) We just moved them to their new coop outdoors and they’re loving it!

1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

My family had been caring for chickens since I was ten! I became their primary care taker as I got older, so I have some experience under my belt. Ducks are a different story, though. I’ve done lots of research, but I’m definitely less knowledgeable on them.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

No chickens, just 4 ducks.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Pekins

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

I honestly really just enjoy watching them and caring for them! It’s therapeutic to me and I like knowing that my animals are happy and healthy. and eating the eggs, of course!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I’m an artist and a writer. I’m trying to launch a webcomic soon! Maybe I will become a professional artist, I like science too, though. Still deciding what I want to do

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I’m the oldest of four kids! I have two cats and two dogs. I currently work at a gluten free breakfast place on weekends. Im starting community college in the fall. Im currently taking a gap year :)

I moved from Colorado to Tennessee last summer. It’s a lot more humid and there’s a lot more bugs, so that’s honestly my main concern for the ducks; keeping everything clean, dry, and as fly free as possible is my goal!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I’ve known about BYC for a long time, but since I honestly don’t know a lot about ducks, I keep finding myself coming back to this site to get information on them! I figured it was about time I joined since this just seems like a really neat and informative community :D I’d like to be a part of it!

:welcome

Hi, it's nice to have you here with us! Love the Scooby Doo names :D
Thank you! I’m happy to be here! Haha thanks, I hope we’ll add a scooby to the group sometime in the future! I don’t have pictures of the coop, but I think I might paint the mystery van somewhere on it! The gang might get broken up if we have too many drakes and one hen.. but I’m hoping for the best 😅 a few are definitely quacking at this point, so it sounds like I have at least two girls

Back
Top Bottom