Hi. What breed is this chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by murphyemerson, Apr 3, 2012.

1. murphyemerson

murphyemerson New Egg

Apr 3, 2012
    [​IMG]
    It just hatched today at around 8 in the morning. We're a little worried about it. It had a pretty long and strenuous birth. The chick is gray with a small whiteish/yellowish patch on it's head. It has grayish colored feet.

Also, any advice on if there is something wrong with it? It seems pretty weak and isn't walking around like the other chicks we have. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Cute little guy, glad he made it. If I ever had a weaker chick I would just leave it in the incubator until it's up and walking around. Make sure the temp doesn't get too high for him though.

Right now he's looking like a barred rock.

3. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    What color egg did you hatch it from? What breed are your chickens that you hatched it from so we can narrow down the choices. I'd agree that barred rock would be a guess without any info. Looks like it has a twisted leg. Could be a ligament problem. I'd search leg problems to see if there's something you can do. The earlier the better.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Add vitamins to the water for a few days. It's a barred mix. The Dad to this chick was most likely a barred-patterned bird.

5. murphyemerson

murphyemerson New Egg

Apr 3, 2012
    It was a white egg. Sorry don't know the breed, a friend gave us these eggs. It has really poor balance. It chirps a lot though. It keeps its eyes shut most of the time but when we give it water it opens its eyes and is a lot more perky. I'll check the leg issue. Also we have this chick and another one together.Is it okay to keep them together they're almost the same size. The healthy one gets real close to it though and we don't want it pushing it around too much...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by