Hi Y'all from Pensacola, FL!

brendasauer

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
Glad to be a new member. I have 4 Rhode Island Red hens - just purchased last week and I already have 9 eggs! Yay - go girls! My Christmas present from my husband was a newly built chicken coop and enclosure in our backyard. Turned out beautiful but, the drainage isn't the best so he still needs to work on rainwater drainage from the enclosure. My hens are 8 months old and this is my first experience (since childhood) owning chickens. I want them for both eggs and for organic bug control in my vegetable garden. Here's my question to you seasoned pros...I'm planning on letting my "girls" have a "chicken excursion" this weekend. We will supervise their foraging outside their completely screened enclosure into the yard and garden. I want to train them to seek cover if overhead predators come around - we have hawks and eagles in our area. What methods have any of you used to get them to either come to me or go into their enclosure if danger threatens and how to teach them what danger is without losing any of them? I've been spending time with them inside their enclosure on a daily basis and bringing them treats of freshly dug earthworms (which they absolutely love). Thanks for your insight!!

welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif
Pleased to meet you.

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from S. Florida! Glad you joined us!
D.gif
I don't really know what to tell you about them learning to seek cover when predators come around. I'm sure someone will show up with some great answers. Its great to have another Floridian on board with us!
thumbsup.gif

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. So glad you joined. I really don't think you can train a chicken to run for cover, it should be a natural instinct. All you can do is provide some cover or something they can run under to get away from danger. Good luck.
thumbsup.gif

Welcome from North Florida I freerange most of my birds as well. You could try teaching them to come to some scratch in a can shake it. I have heard of people doing that. Most of the time I dont have to worry with the dogs around We live adjacent tot he wildlife management area but so far havent had any problems with arial assault. I did watch a group of eagles a few weeks ago but they just circled and left. I think this time of year there are alot of critters in the fields so they leave my birds alone.

welcome-byc.gif
from Indiana!
frow.gif
I see you live in heaven! We usually vacation in Santa Rosa Beach, and make a trip to Pensacola! Ya'll have the most beautiful beaches! The first time my son was there (he was 4) he thought the white sand was snow!
lau.gif
I can't wait to go back!

Back
Top Bottom