Hi y'all from Texas

Langtry chick

Hatching
Mar 15, 2016
Langtry, Texas
Spring has sprung here and I'm so excited I nearly wet my plants. Little humor to start with. I'm one of 11 residents here in this what the county refers to a Village. We are also home to Judge Roy Bean, law west of the pecos and boast the Texas Visitor Center, same name. I am the only one here that owns chickens all hens,5 and am about to get my first ever rooster possibly tomorrow. We are waiting for a call from the local feed Store which is in Del Rio 60 miles east of us. We are on a rooster waiting list and when they call we go. I'm very excited about the whole thing. I have 2 coops located in a good sized chicken run that is fenced in. Each coop will house 6-8 birds. Each morning I let the hens out and they forage in a good sized yard that we have fenced off from the people yard,ours. Currently all 5 hens sleep in one coop. I have 2 coops as I've lost a few chickens to predators. How should I incorporate my new rooster to my tiny flock? He'll be about 4-5 mos.old. Happy to be here. Can't wait to hear from y'all.

Hi and welcome to BYC - love the humour - theres lots of threads around focusing on random silliness so be sure to browse.

After 3-4 weeks in quarantine, you can put your new roo in the coop with the girls, but keep him there for 2 nights (so he knows where home is) and after that he'll be good to go. As a roo, he is not and will not be part of your girls' hierarchy so theres not worries on integration.

All the best
CT

BTW - your place is a hamlet, not a village surely? but then again, "everything's bigger in Texas" so maybe thats why a hamlet become a village, who knows?

Usually a young roo added to a girls flock, ends up getting beaten up. When he gets confidence and some manners the girls will line up for him.

welcome-byc.gif

I remember seeing a Paul Newman movie about Judge Roy Bean many years ago...was it at all close to the real thing?

CTKen and drumstick diva have given you some good advice about isolation and integration so I'll just say hello. (And that I for one, have no idea what sort of silly randomness CTKen is referring to...I'm always sober as a judge, lol!)

Looks like I haven't checked in for awhile. Rooster cogburn has been integrated and is the captain of his domain and his harem.
He likes one of my two coops best even though I keep both coops open for he and his girls to choose from. Am I causing confusion amongst them?
I've been busy so just started watching closely today.

Back
Top Bottom