Hi Y'all!

Hello my name is Sarah and I'm from a small town in Western North Carolina and I have just got my first batch of chicks today. I'm not a complete beginner at all of this because my parents had chickens when I was a younger but they sadly got rid of them over the years, but now that I'm old enough they have decided to let me raise chicks but all with my own money of course :) currently I have a 50 gal tote in my bedroom with a red light heat lamp, pine shavings and the raised water container along with a raised food container, also I have 12 chicks (6 Jersey Giants and 6 lilac orphintons) I honestly don't know the genders yet because in true tractor supply fashion they are straight runs and there is no pullets in a 100 mile radius. The next thing I wanted to mention is my reason for getting chicks, it may sound kinda odd to most ppl but I got chickens because my grandpa that sadly passed 8 yrs ago was a avid chicken keeper and in a way I wanted to experience the same thing he experienced many yrs ago AND I have been into the farm life as long as I can remember so raising the chicks is giving me a piece of that😊 I have only found one dis-like to chicken keeping and that is this motherly instinct drive that makes me worry about them too much 😂 well imma wrap this up because I hear my chicks getting quite so I better check on them😂 bye
Hi Sarah, welcome! I just got 10 Jersey Giants and 10 Barred Plymouth Rocks. We have alot in common. Glad to see you on board :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

As many chick broods I have raised, I am still a worried momma and check on them constantly, day and night! :D

Good luck with your chicks, if you have any questions about them along the way, be sure to ask. Welcome aboard!
Thank you,I'm definitely glad to be hear😊 and I'm definitely a worried momma because I had to get up and check on them every few hours just to make sure they were ok😂 but I do have one that was kinda looking rough that I got at the store (I call this one Nugget because it is smaller than the others) and I had to really help it find the food and water but I did put electrolyte in their water and Nugget is looking better today:) but I worried about it last night lol

Thank you,I'm definitely glad to be hear😊 and I'm definitely a worried momma because I had to get up and check on them every few hours just to make sure they were ok😂 but I do have one that was kinda looking rough that I got at the store (I call this one Nugget because it is smaller than the others) and I had to really help it find the food and water but I did put electrolyte in their water and Nugget is looking better today:) but I worried about it last night lol
During that first week, I get up several times in the night to look in on them. :lol:

Some of the small ones need a bit of intervention sometimes. Make sure Nugget knows where the water is by dipping her beak in the water and sprinkle food around of the floor around the feeder that first week so they know where the food is. Tap with your finger like you are eating. If they are really tiny, you may need to crush the food for a few days.

Im currently working on the coop:) but I'm not that good with woodworking so it's taking a bit longer than I expected 😂 also im going to let them free range in our yard because it's fenced in and I just like the free ranging idea lol. I have also taken predators into consideration and I'm going to leave one of the roosters permanently with them and my dad has a bantam rooster someone gave him yesterday so I guess he is going into my flock also and the bantam is a mean ole chicken so I think atleast he will be a warning siren for the others
Unfortunately all the rooster can do is alert. He can't defend against much other than another rooster.

During that first week, I get up several times in the night to look in on them. :lol:

Some of the small ones need a bit of intervention sometimes. Make sure Nugget knows where the water is by dipping her beak in the water and sprinkle food around of the floor around the feeder that first week so they know where the food is. Tap with your finger like you are eating. If they are really tiny, you may need to crush the food for a few days.
I wake up and check on mine too. Funny- I started doing the pecking to get them use to eating. Now along with the pecking l noticed i started saying "peck peck peck", now the chickies will come when i say "peck peck peck" lol. Its amazing how they pick up on things. Even tho they are only 4 days old, I see them now looking at my face (versus the pecking finger).

I started doing the pecking finger thing yesterday and at first they just pecked me 😂 then after awhile I finally got them to peck and eat the food then with the water they all but Nugget knew how to access it and drink it when I put it in there, so I dipped her beak and she got the hang of it:)

Back
Top Bottom