Hi Y'all!!

chicnchsr

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 5, 2011
Hi!! My name is Alyssa (Aly) and I'm a newbie. I am very new to chickens--I don't have any yet; however, I already have a full blown case of "I need chickens now-itis". In fact, for the last few days chickens seem to be one of the main thoughts on my brain! I've lurked on the site a few times before, dropping in to read a few tid bits here and there. I am prepping to order my first batch of chicks, so I decided I needed to join and get as much info as I can before I get my first chicks! And fuel the chicken-itis fire even more haha!

I did have a chicken once as a kid--I think it came from a feed store around easter time. He lived at our farm for about a year and then we gave him to our neighbor who had a whole flock of chickens and had more room for him.

I haven't decided 100% yet what breeds of chickens I'm going to get--I'm thinking I'll probably start with 3 or 4 different kinds and go from there (maybe australorp, wyandotte, RIR, BO, delaware, etc). Hopefully I don't get too OBSESSED and end up the crazy old cat and chicken lady haha.

I found backyardchickens.com one day when I did a google search about the different breeds of chickens and their characteristics. It was very helpful, so I can only immagine all the goodies I'll find and learn on here
smile.png

I am an avid gardner--love heirloom tomatoes, okra, squash, peppers, melons, etc. I love to grow flowers and just started 'remodeling' my backyard. I am also taking the master gardners class through my local county extension office
smile.png
I love animals (mainly the 4 legged types), but I know I will quickly fall in love with my chickies too! We have limousin and cross bred cattle (at the farm), 2 dogs- a 17 year old rat terrier and 3 year old pembroke welsh corgi, and 5 cats, most all of which were rescues from various places like the walmart parking lot and parks!

So thank you in advance for fielding my crazy, left field, dumb blonde, newbie questions that I'm probably ask in time! Here's my first one: can anyone bring me up to speed on some of the slang y'all use? I have noticed a lot of threads where people abbreviate the names of the breeds (like RIR or BO--I actually know those two haha!). But for the most part I'm totally lost about what they are talking about--is there a list of abbreviation meanings somewhere that I can study up on?

Aly

Hi, Aly!
frow.gif

Welcome from another newbie! Still figuring out all the abbreviations myself so I'll let a more experienced byc'er help you out there! Building my coop and picking out breeds for my first chicks, too! Good luck!

Lisa from NC

Hi Aly and welcome to BYC! I started here just like you.....wanting chickens, searching breeds and ended up here. I have been here ever since. This is a great place to get info and make new friends.

Welcome from Northern California.
frow.gif
The Frequently Asked Questions section has a wealth of info and you can find the abbreviations and many chicken terms there.

welcome-byc.gif
Aly, from Ohio
frow.gif
Sounds like you're gonna be hit with chicken math with all those different breeds you want.
gig.gif
May I suggest your get some EEs (easter eggers) to put some color in your egg basket. Not sure where you are from, but you must be southern to spell y'all right.
lol.png
Kinda bugs me when people write y'all and spell it {ya'll)
barnie.gif
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom