1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi yall

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bayouchica, May 7, 2007.

1. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Well I've been busy hanging out in the morning in the ditches way out back. Doesn't look like much,
    [​IMG]
    But it's smack full of wild dew berries [​IMG] My hubby & I found this loaded patch.I've been going down there last couple of weeks & loading up for myself & the chickens. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    yall have a good day , Miriam

2. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I never had a dewberry before but they look great. You are lucky to have such a berry bush close by.

3. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    I have never had dewberries either; our boysenberries and blackberries are just now flowering. How will you use them?

4. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    We grew dewberries in our garden when I was a teenager. They were so good and juicy. Maybe I will add them to my garden. I am jealous. My neighbor just came over yesterday and invited me to come over and pick fresh strawberries. They have a huge patch. May go today, But we got 3.5 inches of rain last night and it is so wet today. Enjoy your Berries.

5. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Oh, yum, they look scrumptious!!
    Do you make preserves? Pies? [​IMG] Can I come over? [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    What does a dewberry taste like? They look delicious!

7. bayouchica

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Those dewberries grow like weeds around here, we are lucky to have stuff like that growing in the wild. It's almost end of harvesting them, there're getting over ripe.That spot we found makes it really easy to pick them.
    My MIL likes to make juice from them & make jelly... but it's hard to get thru all those begging chickens without emptying my bucket. [​IMG]
    This is gross, but have you ever seen purple chicken poop???? [​IMG] They have been like little pigs. [​IMG]
    We've got some tame berries that are ripening by our garden, I'll take some pics maybe yall could tell me what kind they are.We've always called them Susie berries cause we got them from a lady named Susie.... [​IMG]
    Yeah Mudhen come on down now, ya here ! We'll go crawfishing [​IMG]
    Miriam

8. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

They look scrumptious!
    Are they relatives of blackberries?

9. bayouchica

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    here's our "Susie" berries they run down along our garden area. If everyone knows what kind they are ,let me know...
    [​IMG]
    My MIL had just went & picked most of the ripe berries just before I took this picture.She's going to make a berry cobbler.[​IMG] I heard of some folks making wine.
    These are alot bigger than the wild dew berries.It's hard to describe their taste... [​IMG]
    hi Spotted Crow, I don't know if they are related or not....
    [​IMG]
    Yall have a nice evening,Miriam

10. TJ

TJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG]

I got a visual!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by