Hi!

GuavaChicks

Hatching
Jul 19, 2015
We had backyard chickens as a kid in the Caribbean, no coop to speak of and the hens layed in an old dryer that my parents set out for them. I now live in an agricultural section of Oahu and am thinking of getting our own flock. We were going to start with 4 hatchlings but I just signed up to take some feral chickens that will need homes in the coming weeks. We are open to taking a family of hen + chicks, just chicks, just hens or juveniles. It all depends on what get trapped and what is left when they get to our name on the list.

My question is do I really need a coop? We have a 6,000 sq foot lot for them to run on and a fence to protect from dogs. I don't think there are any major chicken predators in Hawaii, but I know Mongoose and Rats will get at the eggs, so I wanted to try and establish some a nesting site. Also, these will be feral chickens so not really used to being told what to do.

I would welcome any input and advice that anyone would offer!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock!!

I hear of many people having no coop. There is less work with the chickens, but your chickens might disappear. We were thinking about having our chickens roost in trees, but we set out a live trap with some grain in it, and caught a raccoon. I would try figuring out what lives around you that way before you make a decision. I would advise (this is my opinion) getting a coop. But, no, you don't need one.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for the welcome and the reply! We don't have raccoon here in Hawaii or other mainland (continental U.S.) predators like fox, eagle, opossum, owls, wolves, bears or snakes etc. My main concern is keeping the eggs safe from the rats and mongoose (which we have TONS of lol). I'd also like to not have to hunt for eggs everyday, so I was wondering if just free standing (like on the porch) nest baskets will work....

Aloha, and welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've lived on Oahu for the past 21 years. I don't personally recommend free ranging them in a fenced yard here for five reasons. First, while the mongooses are not near as bad as they were when I lived on the big island, you will not only lose eggs to mongooses but chicks as well, and even occasionally an adult bird; second, you will definitely lose eggs to rats; third, you may loose an occasional chick to feral cats; fourth, if you don't keep one wing clipped, even dual purpose breeds will fly over your fence (unless it is at least 8-10 feet high); and fifth, the feral game roosters which are very abundant here will fly over your fence and mate with your hens, polluting your flock by causing a drop in egg production (feral game chickens are poor layers). Of course this last won't be a problem if you decide to raise the game chickens instead of a good laying breed. I tried free ranging once on the big island and lost so many birds that if I hadn't gone to enclosed runs I would have lost them all. Your loses won't be as heavy on Oahu, but you will still have some losses and it will be up to you to decide whether or not those losses are acceptable. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Which ever way you decide to go, good luck wi' da flock.

Last edited:
I thought people adopt them - to domesticate them and let them enjoy a good life - secure coop and run, abundant food and clean water, and interacting with the humans that give them treats and don't harm or chase them.

Thank you for the welcome and the reply! Although we are still waiting for road island red hatchling hens,(my original intention was to just get some layers) I just learned about the need to rehome these feral chickens yesterday and thought back to our time having chickens as kids. For whatever we are able to take, I just want to keep the adults and juveniles from being euthanized but I hope we get chicks too. I consulted my mom, the original back yard everything (lol) and she recommended having an elevated pen to keep out the rats and mongoose, with nest boxes. We have feral roosters around here in the country, and I never thought about them flying INTO the yard! We shall see!

I want to adopt them to keep them from being euthanized and of course provide a safe haven with clean food and water and plenty of bugs and shade and trees, but I think, since these are already feral chickens, that trying to force them into a coop or run would be just as cruel. I know they are wild and I'm not trying to make them into pets or restrict their freedom. Yes, our lot is small compared to what they have been used to, but it's better than just letting them be killed. Plus, we live in the countryside of Oahu. Farms all around. If they fly over the fence or don't like it here, they will not be trapped again, they will just be wild again. I hope this makes sense. :)

Thank you for the welcome and the reply! Although we are still waiting for road island red hatchling hens,(my original intention was to just get some layers) I just learned about the need to rehome these feral chickens yesterday and thought back to our time having chickens as kids. For whatever we are able to take, I just want to keep the adults and juveniles from being euthanized but I hope we get chicks too. I consulted my mom, the original back yard everything (lol) and she recommended having an elevated pen to keep out the rats and mongoose, with nest boxes. We have feral roosters around here in the country, and I never thought about them flying INTO the yard! We shall see!

You're welcome, and good luck. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom