Hi

chicken4little

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2015
HI I got some chickens back in June and it has been an exciting experience raising them.
I have 5 naked neck hens 5 naked neck roosters( way too many) 5 Rhode Island reds, two Rouen drakes and 8 golden sex links

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sounds like you have a lovely flock! Poultry sure are fun to keep. I don't know how I could ever live without my birds now. Ha!

Make yourself at home here and we do welcome you to our flock!

welcome-byc.gif

You have a nice assortment of poultry to keep you entertained
smile.png

You are a bit top-heavy on males...the recommended ratio is about 1 male to 10 females. Have you decided what you are going to do with the surplus males?

Make yourself at home here, thanks for joining us!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on that 1 rooster to 10 hen ratio. As they mature and their hormones kick in, too many roosters will become very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching, and 1 rooster can easily handle 10-15 hens in that regard. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

:welcome

You have a nice assortment of poultry to keep you entertained :)

You are a bit top-heavy on males...the recommended ratio is about 1 male to 10 females. Have you decided what you are going to do with the surplus males?

Make yourself at home here, thanks for joining us!

I think I'm going to make a nice dinner out of at least four of them;)

Back
Top Bottom