Hi!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Steph0530, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Steph0530

Steph0530 New Egg

Apr 26, 2016
    Hello All!!

I'm Stephanie, I don't have chickens.... YET! I've been a career lurker in these forums, and the site, for about a year but haven't joined until today, WOOHOO!

My husband Tadd and I live in Wisconsin, with our 6 year old son, Dane. We have 1 acre of land in a little neighborhood development that's surrounded by farm land. We're about 20 minutes away from St. Paul, MN- so rural, but still considered a suburb of the twin cities.

Next summer I hope have a coop and run set up to house 4-6 hens (No boys allowed!) and raise them for both eggs and pets. Raising them for meat is still up for debate in our house. I wouldn't mind a couple wycandottes (sp?) the ones with feathers that look like fishnet stockings! LOL! Absolutely gorgeous! Pretty feathers aside, I need birds that are cold hardy, decent layers, and friendly. Bonus points for being good foragers. I have empty lots both beside and behind my house that I'd probably allow some supervised foraging on.

My biggest reservations with this new undertaking is the actual medical care of the birds and making sure they are comfortable during the winter. I'm very much sold on the deep litter method for inside the coop because I know that helps with heat, but without running power I'm not sure what else to do. (Hubby refuses to allow power in the coop for fire safety reasons.)

Anywho, that's me in a nutshell. I work full time as an Estimator and am a part time student earning an associates in IT online. In my ever elusive free time I scrapbook, attempt gardening and canning, create stained glass, and occasionally hold down the couch to read a book.

Hope to you all around! :)

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Stephanie, very nice to meet you. Chickens can tolerate cold MUCH better than heat. You may want to join your state thread and ask what breeds they feel do best in your area, and what type of coop do they use. I think Black Australorps among others would be a good choice. I'm sure other greeters coming on will have their recommendations.[​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    ps for extreme cold weather you might consider Chanticleers who were bred to survive the harsh winters in Canada.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Stephanie - you have some great advice from DD, so i will just say a big hello, and welcome to BYC.

Best wishes

CT

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by