Hi!

folgerrd

Songster
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Canada
Hi1
I am new here and to the chicken raising world.
I am going to hopefully raise chickens:D but am on a tight budget for coop building:( and was wondering, which kinds of coops are best for 8+ chickens that won't cost me to to much?
So far I've got my eyes set on the playskool one in small coops on this website.
Also i am raising them to sell their eggs, which breeds are best?
I have a lot of land but no fencing:(, will this be a problem?

Thanks from, me.

Not experienced enough to answer your questions..I'm a newbie, too, but I wanted to say WELCOME!! You 'll find all the answers you need shortly..this is a great group of chicken folks!

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome! As far as coops go, how much they end up costing really depends. For egg laying I really like Golden Sexlinks (golden comets) They will lay a extra large brown eggs every day for you
wink.png
They do not have to be fenced in, they can just free range and will come back to there coop every night.

Last edited:
hi ive been in the same boat with a coop.. right now mine are in a 4x 10 dog chain link kennel and cat cages at night ( cat cage is 2f wide and 4 ft long. cage, ive put a bar in them so they can roost and there is room for water and food at night. two wire doors latch at night..) this is not what I want and will have coops.. I adored the playschool plastic house to make one out of ..so I went to my moms to dig the one my daughter had out of the woods .. and dang if it wasnt gone.. my sister had taken it and sold it at a yard sale.. ahhhhhhh I really loved that coop.. so now I am planning on building on the

http://poultry.purinamills.com/NUTRITIONMANAGEMENT/HenHouseHutchDesign/default.aspx

house its 4x4.. but I need 3 coops to keep number to 5 in each.. this house is so close to the coop that i had drawn out that its the way to go for me.. there is alot of feedback on the house too on the thread.. people are building and adding to this design all the time..

good luck )O(
Pink

Thank you for all the welcomes:D.
This place seems quite friendly:)!
I will check out those chickens one of you mentioned, quick question though, will they do okay in the Canadian winters(obviously i will need some heating but i dont want to torture birds who prefer FL).
I will definately look at the coop one of you suggested.
thanks again for your replies.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Quote:
Love the sound of that but I cant seem to find out anything about them on this site
hmm.png
I will have to keep looking.

I found out more about them and they seem like a good choice but doubt the rest of my family will allow me to get a non-heritage chicken.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom