Hickory Nuts

SandyK

Crowing
14 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Eldersburg, Maryland
We have a Hickory Tree with nuts falling every where. Do you think they would be good for the chickens if we hit them with a hammer to open them up a bit? I did see where it was ok for my parrots to eat them. What do you all do with them?

Hickory nuts make the BEST pecan-style pie you have EVER eaten in your life. It's a lot more work, but worth it. I used to shell enough hickories for a pie every year when I was growing up.

I'm sure the chickens would love them if you busted them up and then let them pick through them. My only concern would be that their shells can bust up into sharp bits that might hurt in their crop. Also, I wouldn't give them too many since it's a treat and could be too much fat for their system.

Wish I still lived near Hickory trees...

Last edited:
We have about 30 hickory trees on our property. We feed them to our parrots, chickens, we eat them, bake with them. They're delicious!!!! Last year we had so many hickory nuts that we're still picking them off up the ground!!!

Laurie

Hickory nuts are great! It's nice of you to want to share with your chickens, but I'd be selfish and save them all for the family.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom