Hidden eggs

jpcode

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 8, 2011
Sacramento
My ameraucana who I thought was not laying yet has a nest behind the air conditioner. I kept hearing her egg call and would check the nests, but no egg. I almost thought she was laying brown eggs like all my other hens. But no she had 9 eggs hidden.

Is there any hope in getting her to lay in the coop?

Block off the place where she keeps nesting so she can't get there. Or shut her (and maybe the others) in the coop until they lay their egg in there. Put fake eggs in the nest box so there's always an "egg" there.

I did leave one of her eggs in the nest box, I don't know if it is worth it to have her locked up until I have sprouts in the garden.

Our chickens have been molting, not laying much, so we got lax about checking for hidden nests. A couple days ago my son-in-law found a nest at the far end of the pasture in the blacberry vines with 30 eggs! Needless to say we are taking care of that situation, but the good news is that they are starting to lay again.
ya.gif
29 eggs yesterday which is up from the 6 to 9 we were getting. Our customers will be very happy!
celebrate.gif

Most of the eggs were from the little speckled hamburgs who will not stay in the coop to lay not matter what we do!!

Last edited:
I would never believe this, but after putting one of the hidden eggs in the next box she climbed in and laid in the box. Silly chickens.

Back
Top Bottom