Hidden nest and loads of eggs!

paintedsavvy

Chicken Kisser
May 24, 2009
Pagosa Springs, CO
So I thought one of my pullets was dead when she didn't come to roost in the coop last night. I looked everywhere around the yard and over in the neighbors thinking she jumped the fence. No sign of her. This morning I found her hidden in some ivy type plants sitting on 12 (sadly, infertile) cute little turquoise eggs! (She is a Banty Easter Egger.) Naughty chickie. She only started to lay like a month ago and she's only about 7 months old, so I was not expecting a broody little gal so soon. I cleaned up the nest and she's back roosting in the coop with her gal pals. Thank goodness.
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

Ooohhh, I bet those eggs were soo precious!!! Glad you found her and that she is safe and doing well.
wink.png

Glad she's home safe and sound. I can relate. My little silkie did the same and I was sick and worried until she showed up!

i find hidden nest all the time from are guineas, but now are speckled sussex are doing it (hiding there nest) good thing its winter and didnt have to trash all those eggs

I can relate. When one of my EEs was getting to the age of starting to lay I was having a problem with her wandering off nearly every day. I spent countless hours searching for her because we live in town and are surrounded by neighbors with hunting dogs. I eventually found out where she was. Surprisingly, only about 5'-6' from the coop hidden in a weed enclosure. She had 7 beautiful blue eggs (also infertile). After removing the eggs she never went to lay them in that spot again.

It sure is a pretty site finding a nest full of eggs, isn't it? Especially after all the worrying about if she was okay! Glad it had such a wonderful outcome for you!

Back
Top Bottom