Hiding eggs?

LuvinMyPeeps

Songster
11 Years
Aug 22, 2008
Powhatan, VA 23139
Have your hens ever hid their eggs completely under bedding in the middle of their coop? I'm wondering if I should be looking through their bedding - or would I see some of the egg? The egg color blends in with the pine making it really hard to see. How hard should I be looking for their eggs?

Last edited:
Yes mine have, unbeknown to me.... My son cleaned the coop and brought in a whole bunch of eggs and most of them were bad. Now we look closely.
hmm.png

mine like to hide them in the bedding in the corners, I always have to make sure I check them to make sure there isn't a secrete stash

Okay, that's what I thought, but I knew you 'eggsperts' would be able to confirm it for me. Thanks! I'll have to start digging :) My delaware is ready to lay soon - her comb is really bright red and she screaming at my others to stay away from the nest boxes.
roll.png
I think I'll build some more and put them in a different corner - she's a crank pot (hence her name - Glayds Kravitz
smile.png
hee hee.

The nature of hens laying eggs is for reproduction. So they are aware that we remove their eggs, easy to find in those "boxes" they're supposed to drop an egg in.. So if they lay an egg someplace, usually I'll find that all the hens follow suit and lay an egg in the "stolen" nest.
Isn't the nature of chickens just so simple that its complex! This is also were in the spring summer someone will put up a post- missing hen back with chicks...they do have a plan whether or not we appreciate it! Haahaa

Back
Top Bottom