High Desert new member

Pyramidt

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2023
Hi all,

I'm a new member even though I've been using this site for 2 years for info and questions about my chickens. I live in Reno NV. Raising chickens in the high desert presents it's own challenges. Coyotes, Great Horned owls, Long Eared Owls, Bobcats, not to mention 40 degree temperature swings in a 24 hour period. I have found chickens to be a never ending source of laughs and stress relief. Who can watch a chicken JUMP and not laugh or at least smile? I love my my ladies! I don't have any roosters. I live on 85 acres and the girls have free run when I'm home and can watch over them.
I have 15 girls and am getting 20 more tomorrow. With egg prices what they are I can't keep up with the demand for eggs. I have Americana's, Morans, Barred Rocks, and some I don't know the names of yet. I look forward to belonging to a group of like minded people!
I have attached pictures of some of the critters caught on my game camera checking out my girls. The owl I had to pull out of my coop with my bare hands while it was attacking my sleeping girls! I released it 20 miles from my house and it came back 2 days later.

Attachments

• WGI_0001.JPG
    WGI_0001.JPG
    239 KB · Views: 11
  • WGI_0013.JPG
    WGI_0013.JPG
    235.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20210109_175947.jpg
    20210109_175947.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 3
Welcome to BYC. How did the owl get into your coop?
I had family over for dinner so I didn't close the coop door till well after dark. Went down to the coop and saw a wing that didn't belong and gave it a pull. Out comes an owl!
I built my run around a giant tree on my property with the coop built into the side of the run. Since then I have built a new coop that is more secure and have not had any more problems. I thought I was going to lose a finger or two when I pulled the owl out. The Long Eared Owls are the only ones who will do that. I have 3 species of owls who make my property home throughout the year at different times.

WELCOME! Oh my goodness. Probably no free run when your aren't home.
Definitely no free range when I'm not home. I lost 2 to hawks and 1 to a coyote. The same coyote came in and grabbed a turkey right in front of my wife in broad daylight! That coyote has been dealt with. I don't like killing a coyote for being a coyote but that was too bold.

Hi all,

I'm a new member even though I've been using this site for 2 years for info and questions about my chickens. I live in Reno NV. Raising chickens in the high desert presents it's own challenges. Coyotes, Great Horned owls, Long Eared Owls, Bobcats, not to mention 40 degree temperature swings in a 24 hour period. I have found chickens to be a never ending source of laughs and stress relief. Who can watch a chicken JUMP and not laugh or at least smile? I love my my ladies! I don't have any roosters. I live on 85 acres and the girls have free run when I'm home and can watch over them.
I have 15 girls and am getting 20 more tomorrow. With egg prices what they are I can't keep up with the demand for eggs. I have Americana's, Morans, Barred Rocks, and some I don't know the names of yet. I look forward to belonging to a group of like minded people!
I have attached pictures of some of the critters caught on my game camera checking out my girls. The owl I had to pull out of my coop with my bare hands while it was attacking my sleeping girls! I released it 20 miles from my house and it came back 2 days later.
Welcome !!! So sorry 😢

Back
Top Bottom