High-dose b12

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CluckyJay, Jun 13, 2011.

1. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Is anyone taking higher than "normal" doses of b12? I am on 9000 mcg a day. I take it at 3000 mcg, three times day to function properly. When I run out I get sick, weak and easily confused in a few days. I have fibro, think that's why?

If I take more than 3000 mcg at once, I pee it out. As long as I take it in three spaced out doses over the day, I have normal colored pee, lol. When I take less than 9000 it doesn't work.

What would cause a person to continuously run low of b12? I eat red and white meat regularly.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  2. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    I don't know but if you drink more milk it might help. There is b-12 in milk also. (According to a cereal box it does)

3. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I drink milk. Maybe not enough though. I probably get around a cereal bowl full a day. Then again, it isn't fresh milk--maybe you have to drink a zillion times what you normally would when you drink store bought milk, lol.

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
  5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    My husband has pernicious anemia and has to take B12. You may want to get bloodwork done to see.

6. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Yeah, I'm thinking maybe Anemia also? Nothing to do with FMS that I'm aware of, and I've had it for 11 years now. But remember, when you stop taking *almost anything* for a few days, you feel funny. Doesn't mean that your body needs that thing necessarily, could simply be withdrawals because the body is used to it. I've never heard of B12 withdrawals, but then I've never seen anyone take that high of a dose either. In short, I don't know, but I would look into Anemia, because those are the general symptoms of it.

7. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I have saved that website. That has some very good reading. Thank you!

I have suffered from low iron since I was a kid. I don't know why though? I have always eaten all sorts of meat and until recent years, plenty of veggies and cooked beans. I remember as a kid I had to eat so much liver, [​IMG] and I think take a special baby formula.

I had problems when I was pregnant and after Boo was born the doctor had me and him on iron. I bled way too much while having him and he was born with no brown fat and was so small. He was at 4 lbs and 9 ounces after the just-been-born normal baby weight loss, I believe.

I Googled anemia and am looking into it. I remember being so tired as a kid. I was active, but it was hard to wake up and get moving. This is with supplemental iron and all that liver and other meat. I had really bad stomach pains as a child too. The doctors told my mom I was faking it. She didn't believe them of course and she tried everything to fix the problem. [​IMG] [​IMG] I was hungry all the time too. Man could I eat and never get fat--just solid muscle! LOL

When I was a little baby I had terrible seizures and towards the end the doctors told my mum to "make arrangements" because I was going to DIE. [​IMG] She took me to church and they prayed over me and the Lord healed me from the seizures. This of course was before everyone had computers and Google, lol.

When I hit around 16 and on into adulthood, my body felt/feels like it was shutting down and I hurt so badly every day. Exhausted, stomach pains, forgetfulness, stuttering and at one point I heard a pop in my brain and went blind and nearly deaf for about a minute.

The doctor said I had an optical migraine and sent me home after a Cat-scan. [​IMG]

There are other things that happen but I don't know how all this would go together or if the problems are their own. I'm not a doctor so its hard for me to put it together and figure it all out.

I think a lot of my problems are really common, at least in Americans. It would be nice to figure out what causes all of it so I can at least have some energy and not be so forgetful, LOL.

Thanks guys!

8. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Oh, the b12 is something new for me. I started taking it about 2 years or so ago.

9. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    NOT saying this is your issue, but it's something to consider...

My father had a pretty bad time in life that involved some massive malpractice. As a result, he's lost the majority of his small intestine (all but 3 feet) and all of his large intestine.

He has to take B12 shots and a couple other vitamin shots because he no longer has the section of intestine that specifically absorbs B12. Different parts of your intestines absorb different things, and if there is something "wrong" with that section (or in his case, it's gone), then there really isn't any way to absorb those things, other than injection.

I'm assuming you have all your guts [​IMG] and therefore wonder, based on Dad's issue, if you just aren't absorbing enough or "right". The other alternative is you are absorbing your vitamins, but you aren't metabolizing them in a normal manner to allow normal levels to remain in you.

Totally a shot in the dark. I would wonder in your case if injected B12 would be longer lasting than the pills. I think dad gets his shot weekly, or maybe it's monthly. I can't remember right now [​IMG]

10. areyoumymother

areyoumymother Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    I got a B12 shot once when an on-site nurse came to my employment to administer the flu shot along with other vaccinations.

I did not notice a significant difference in the way it made me feel, I was hoping for more energy, etc. but it did not really make a noticable difference for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by