high feed cost

Quote:
We work the ground several times before we plant. There are always some weeds that grow, but if the weather onditions are right the wheat usually outgrows the weeds so the aren't a problem. No, it doesn't reseed itself. The grains that are left behind in the field do sprout and grow, but they are more likely to contain diseases so we never let it grow. I wouldn't want to do even 1/4 acre by hand. I question in the long run if it really pays. Our county wide average is only 35 buchels per acre so that means 8 bushels on that 1/4 acre if you're lucky. With the cost of fertilizers I don't think you'd be saving much money.

I thin she has plenty of chicken manure to cover the fertilization.
wink.png

Our soils here in western Washington are highly organic, so providing organic material is never an issue. You would have to work extremely hard to deplete the organic matter in the soils here, so we're fortunate in that aspect.

Of course, the soils are also tremendously leached. So, lime is increidbly important for good yields. We're also short on calcium, phosphorous, potassium and magnesium. But that is easily corrected with judicious applications of seed meal (if nitrogen is needed), bone meal (phosphorous/calcium), lime (50/50 agricultural and dolomitic) and kelp meal (potassium + pretty much everything else that ails you).

I really think on a 1/4 acre, having never grown a cereal there, she could probably get away with 3-4 years without even doing a soils test. As long as it's in grass now, the soil will be pretty balanced. I did 100'x100' test patches last year of wheat, oats and barley. I 'harvested' with kitchen scissors, bundled it up on the porch, shook the grain out of what I used for myself. The rest went in the shock to the chickens, pigs, etc. and they harvested it themselves. You can be very creative on small farms.
big_smile.png

I don't really know much about growing things other than the easies such as tomatoes, corn, potatoes, beans, peas, and the dreaded zucchini on a tiny scale. Only a few hundred lbs of usable goods from it all last year, just for family use. Never done soil tests but just toss chicken litter or move the brooder tractor around and toss a layer of lime over the real poopy spots before digging it all up with a shovel and the help of my little brother.
idunno.gif
Worked so far...

I was eyeing another section to fence off to grow stuff in and it's covered in this tall grass like plant that if it isn't cut, will grow about 5 feet tall and spout these little grain heads at the top with tiny grass looking seeds in it... maybe I can turn that chunk over and get some oats for that! Chances are the darn thing will turn into a black berry field like almost everywhere else that was cleared at one point in time.
th.gif
My arms are already sore thinking about all that digging... dang tillers are all broken.

Oh yeah, where does one get seeds for grain crops?

STUPID Question,here! I asked about feeding grains, corn, buckwheat and sunflowers to my hens and was told that I could not provide a complete diet for them this way. So, do I need to still provide laying pellets, crumbles?? Thank you Dixie

Last edited:
Quote:
Feedstore will carry seed for the basics, like wheat. It may cost you a whopping $8 per 50 pound bag. Also, Territorial Seed will have smaller packages for cover crops such as buckwheat, wheat, oats, rye, etc.

We're only growing organic field crops in anticipation of getting certification on our pastures one day. I find the best selection here:

http://www.welterseed.com/

Quote:
You have two ways of dealing with this:

1) Use your own grain to stretch your storebought 'complete rations'. Mix them 50/50 (or whatever you want to do) and watch your feed bill go down. Some people don't even feed their chickens and they still get eggs out of them.

2) If you have other livestock, and you have a loose mineral mix designed for your soils, the loose mineral is really a feed prem-mix. You combine the mineral with your grain and you nearly have a complete ration that you just made yourself. You would only need to supplement the protein then, using seed meal bought from the feed store.

Have any of you tried to grow proso? It is supposed to be fairly high in protein, quick growing, somewhat drought tolerant and fast maturing? I have been think about planting some of that this year to use as a supplement to make the feed bill stretch further.

Back
Top Bottom