high gloss or semi gloss for coop?

dftkarin

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
I am in the process of building a small 2-chicken coop (4'x2'x2.5'tall) with some leftover plywood from a neighbor's project and I'm planning to paint it a royal blue (so maybe the neighbor's will be calmed and charmed by the color and ignore the hodge-podge ugliness of the actual coop - and the fact that its a sign of yet more chickens next door to them) - and I plan to buy Kilz paint at Walmart - but should I use interior/exterior high gloss or exterior semi-gross? I like the idea of high gloss because then I can slap a coat of high gloss on the inside floor without buying a whole other paint.

Kilz works fine but the Lowes brand primer "ZAP" works better and costs just under $10 for a gallon. Be sure to have them stir/mix it up real good before you leave te store. A couple of coats of that and you can paint anything over it. It dries very fast so that by the time you are done with your first coat you can do your second coat. If you already have it use the high gloss ou just use the primer inside for a lighter interior.

I think it's totally up to you! Either will be fine and you have a good point about painting the floor, though do make sure it is very well cured before you 'add chickens' so they can't pick at it. I don't think they'll bother it once it's dry so don't worry. Mine were interested WHILE I was painting, but once it was all dry they were no longer interested at all. they did try to help me paint and were very interested in the mixing stick and anything left laying around. ...I have one with green feet, and no she's not an EE, and another with grey wingtips on one side. Silly girls!

I'd suggest semigloss, because it requires less work when you want to repaint in the future. You can sort of get away without sanding semigloss, or just give it a real quick once-over; whereas if you paint on top of high-gloss paint without a light sand first, the new coat tends to adhere poorly and will peel prematurely and extensively.

I do not personally think high-gloss "works" any better, w/r/t ease of cleanup and that sort of thing, than semigloss does; thus if it were me I would do the whole thing, floor and all, in semigloss.

If you enjoy lightly sanding paint, or have vowed to never ever repaint, of course there would be no downside to high-gloss
tongue.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

If it were me, I'd go with the exterior semi-gloss. Don't know what you're weather is like, but I'll tell you that interior paint used in an exterior application in a climate with a fair change in weather will peel peel peel. Who needs the hassle? Don't know much about kilz paint.... do you not have to prime with that stuff? I personally like to prime exterior wood with oil-based kilz - the adhesion is great and it covers all knots from bleeding through your latex top coat.

BTW - paint and caulk, paint and caulk, hides what a carpenter's not. Words I live by....

Back
Top Bottom