We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

High Heat Index...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DWilkins, Jul 18, 2019.

1. DWilkins

DWilkins Songster

Sep 10, 2012
    For the next couple of days here in Iowa ,the heat index could be as high as 106. I currently have three silkie hens.Little concerned about the heat. Would it be better to leave them outside ( as they have the ability to free range) or bring them in the house with the central air? Is it more of a shock to them expose them to the temperature change or leave them outside and put a fan in the coop? This is what the coop/run look like.They do like to find my ferns and go under them when it gets warm, but we haven't had the high temps like we are going to experience.

Attached Files:

2. BarnhartChickens98

BarnhartChickens98 Crowing

Oct 28, 2018
    Manhiem, Pennnsylvania
    They should be OK outside but i would be sure to give them plenty of cold/ice water to keep cool. Some chickens even like wading in a few inches of water to cool off. Frozen watermelon is also a favorite to keep them cool. Good luck!

3. Soy Milano

Soy Milano Chirping

Jun 19, 2017
    DWilkins likes this.
  4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    This wouldn't be good for them, IMO.
    A fan might help bring cooler air into coop late in the day. I have one on the east side of the coop that I turn on for a couple hours before roost time to push some hot air out of coop.

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves. It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
    Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place. Always have plain water available too.
    [​IMG]

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
    Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
    [​IMG]

Make space in your freezer!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: