High pitched squeak noise?

Esme2345

Chirping
Jun 16, 2020
Today I went and bought an Aylesbury duck to live with my pekin duck, she appears quite small and her feathers are not in great condition ( very muddy ) I’m so glad I got her as I don’t think she was treated very well in her previous home. One thing I noticed as soon as I let her in the run was that she made a high squealing type noise. I wondered if I should b worried about this. She’s eaten and drank lots and lots.

Attachments

• 6F011AD0-A9BD-4DA9-82E8-EAFFFC85FC97.jpeg
    6F011AD0-A9BD-4DA9-82E8-EAFFFC85FC97.jpeg
    547.1 KB · Views: 10
  • DE4284E9-F2CB-4B30-AFD1-7F49142743C8.jpeg
    DE4284E9-F2CB-4B30-AFD1-7F49142743C8.jpeg
    683.8 KB · Views: 6
Could you try to get a video of the noise?

If it's almost a high pitch sneeze, and you're not seeing any signs of dyspnea, like heavy breathing, tail bobbing, wing held out from the body, etc. It's likely her nares are clogged, and she's attempting to blow them out.

Try providing her with a deep water source she can play in, like a kiddie pool, and she should be able to clean it out herself. A deep bucket may work too, but won't encourage the behavior as much.

From the picture, it's apparent the conditions she was being kept in was nonetheless poor.

Give her water to be able to bath in and she'll start preening and get her feathers looking alot better, plus good quality feed. Some extra protein like meal worms or good quality dry cat food. or dry dog food. Protein helps with feather quality too. If you can add some poultry vitamins to give her a good start just add to their drinking water. Poultry Nutri drench is a good one. I am glad you rescued her also.

Could you try to get a video of the noise?

If it's almost a high pitch sneeze, and you're not seeing any signs of dyspnea, like heavy breathing, tail bobbing, wing held out from the body, etc. It's likely her nares are clogged, and she's attempting to blow them out.

Try providing her with a deep water source she can play in, like a kiddie pool, and she should be able to clean it out herself. A deep bucket may work too, but won't encourage the behavior as much.

From the picture, it's apparent the conditions she was being kept in was nonetheless poor.

Give her water to be able to bath in and she'll start preening and get her feathers looking alot better, plus good quality feed. Some extra protein like meal worms or good quality dry cat food. or dry dog food. Protein helps with feather quality too. If you can add some poultry vitamins to give her a good start just add to their drinking water. Poultry Nutri drench is a good one. I am glad you rescued her also.

thanks so much her feathers have already improved and it’s only been a couple of days, also the noise she’s making is almost like a baby duckling, it’s not wheezy or anythin, but she also does Some very loud quacks occasionally, the person I got her from said she was hatched last year but I’m a bit confused to be honest

Back
Top Bottom