High Protein Chicken Feed Recipe

localpoultryman

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2021
3 Cups- Whole Oats, ($0.10)
1 Cup- Coarse Wheat Bran, ($3.52)
2 1/2 Cups- 9 Lives Tuna and Egg Dry Cat Food, ($1.70)
2 Cup- Alfalfa Timothy Pellets Ground, ($0.38)
1 Cup- Oyster Shell, ($0.13)
1/2 Cup- Soybeans or Lentils, (Split) ($1.50)
1/4 Cup- Diatomaceous Earth, ($0.28)
Free Choice Grit (Price Varies)

Total Cost Around: $7.61 ($0.19 Per Serving) (Makes 10 1/4 Cups) (Feed 1/4 Cup Per Chicken Per Day!!!)

or You Can Mix With a Commercial Crumble 50/50 to Reduce Feed Cost and/or Increase Diet Variety and/or Increase Nutritional Content For Birds. This Feed Will Increase Protein Consumption, and Increase Egg Production!!!

Last edited:
What percent protein does it have? How much of the protein is lysine? How much crude fiber? MetabLinoleic acid?

Where is the energy? Usually it comes from grains but oats is low in energy for a grain and the energy isn't in bran.

Are you sure oyster shell should make up 1/10th of the mix by volume? I've been seeing calcium in layer rations at 4% of the diet by weight and calcium is heavier than most ingredients.

Vs $10.00 for somewhere around 130 cups (50 pounds) of complete feed at my nearest feed store.

3 Cups- Whole Oats, ($0.10)
1 Cup- Coarse Wheat Bran, ($3.52)
2 1/2 Cups- 9 Lives Tuna and Egg Dry Cat Food, ($1.70)
2 Cup- Alfalfa Timothy Pellets Ground, ($0.38)
1 Cup- Oyster Shell, ($0.13)
1/2 Cup- Soybeans or Lentils, (Split) ($1.50)
1/4 Cup- Diatomaceous Earth, ($0.28)
Free Choice Grit (Price Varies)

Total Cost Around: $7.61 ($0.19 Per Serving) (Makes 10 1/4 Cups) (Feed 1/4 Cup Per Chicken Per Day!!!)

or You Can Mix With a Commercial Crumble 50/50 to Reduce Feed Cost and/or Increase Diet Variety and/or Increase Nutritional Content For Birds. This Feed Will Increase Protein Consumption, and Increase Egg Production!!!
I would keep the crushed oyster shell out of the mix & only offer it free choice.

Back
Top Bottom